I was talking to an Electrician this morning that had just come from a house where the owner had installed some single socket-outlets into the timber floor at his house.
The Electrician was asked to certify and connect all of the work in the house.
Now, what the Electrician was wondering was, is this legal?.
I said to him that the guy that installed the points, had obviously not read ECP51 (Code of Practice for Work by Owners of Residential Premises).
ECP51 Section 2.2.1: Electrical Installation Layout:
Socket-outlets shall not be mounted on the floor.
However, I'd beg to differ with this, considering that all new socket outlets require RCD protection these days and they also incorporate safety shutters.
Sure the guy may have mucked up, but has he?.
In commercial installations here, you see a lot of floor points in shops and offices, usually used to power vacuum cleaners and the like.
And with the types I've seen, none of them have safety shutters or RCD protection, it isn't required in Commercial installations.
It doesn't mean any less that little Johnny won't shove his Mum's car keys into the socket while she buys something at the counter. [Linked Image]
One last thing, what's the difference between a socket-outlet mounted into the floor and a multi-box lying on top of the floor?.
Would you get away with points in the floor where you come from?.