I went to buy T&E cable from my local branch of Wm Wilson (the cheapest for cable at present)on Thursday, and was unable to get any 1.0mm 6242Y (old or new colours). There was 1.5 & 2.5 T&E & 1.0 & 1.5 3c&e available in the new colours.

I was surprised to see the "harmonized" stocks (manufactured by AEI cables) come in so quickly, however I was specifically looking for cable with the existing code to complete a job already started.
I was told they had about 8500M of 1.5 & 2.5 T&E available in the "old" colours and when that was sold only the new colours would be available.
There was also 25mm 6181YH (meter tails) with a blue core / grey sheath available, but not the corresponding brown / grey cable. The blue / grey cable did look strange, but I guess we'll get used to it soon.

If this is any indication it looks like the conversion process is going to be fairly quick in the T&E type, house wiring cables.

As I've said before I would much prefer to keep our existing code, but I do see that we are somewhat isolated in using black as neutral and the change was inevitable. In single phase installations this should be fairly straight forward and safe, but 3 phase installations may be more of a problem.
Incidentally, I have had a few customers comment that their wiring must be really old because it is red, black. They are then surprised when they see me install cables with red & black cores, though not for much longer.

[This message has been edited by David UK (edited 04-10-2004).]