Paul,
This whole thing was one big mis-understanding.
The Police were involved, because my client had rang them and with Police Office staffers over here, they like to jump to conclusions!.
Having said that, my client could have rung the EWRB and made my life REALLY difficult, as not furnishing a CoC, is the same thing as transposing the Mains with them, it's all or nothing and I know of the odd Sparky who has been clobbered by this machine.
Regarding liability, either way I am responsible for any work that I do, regardless of the fact of wether or not I furnish a CoC for it.
I have always made a point of filling out a CoC for ALL the prescribed work that I do, that's just part of being a Registered person.
And I am also consequentally Auditted every year, by the EWRB, as to the Safety of my work practices.
BTTT, What actually happened Paul, was that my client wanted to claim Insurance on the HW cylinder cable repair (1 year later!) and the Ins. Company would not do anything until they saw the CoC, from me.
My client could not find it and rang me for a copy of it, but instead of actually saying that she had lost the original, she made accusations, of me never having having supplied her with one in the first place!.
This REALLY hurt, and with the Police wasting thier time on it, sickens me even more.
Paul, I must agree, the majority of Police Officers that I have met and worked with at Motor Vehicle Accidents and so forth, are just ordinary people, like you and I and would probably baulk at this story if I told them.
Just as a note Paul, at the bottom of a CoC, it reads:
IMPORTANT DOCUMENT- PLEASE KEEP THIS IN A SAFE PLACE
If under the couch works for you, that's fine, but make sure you can find the darned thing, in future!!. [Linked Image]