I think examining the way things are done elsewhere gives one a much better insight into the problems and possible solutions.

Far too many people in this country know little about the wiring systems in other parts of the world and have the "Our system is obviously the best" mentality.

I think the reality is that there are good and bads points to be found the world over.

One thing I've mentioned in the past, but will bring into the discussion again here is the subject of bathroom outlets.

I'm sure that some of my fellow Brits will disagree with what I'm about to say, but I really feel that the IEE should relax its "no sockets in the bathroom" stance. The present rules of allowing only a dedicated xfmr-isolated, low-power shaver receptacle are overly restrictive in my opinion.

People want to be able to use a hair-dryer in a bathroom. It makes sense that they would want to. If there are no outlets in the bathroom, they're just as likely to run an extension to a receptacle in an adjacent hallway or bedroom.

I see no reason why we shouldn't allow a socket in the bathroom, so long as it's coverede by appropriate distance-from-tub rules and provided with GFI/RCD protection. We could even stipulate an American-style 6mA trip for such outlets instead of the usual 30mA used here.