Hi there Dulldull and welcome to ECN!

PAL transmits both R-Y and B-Y on every line, so the broadcast color resolution is excellent. However, you lose some of the resolution because of the electronic averaging which takes place in a PAL-D receiver (which is all modern types).

Curiously, the older and cheaper PAL-S sets without a delay line offered better vertical color resolution than the more expensive PAL-D set does, although the latter is better at covering up the effects of a large phase error.

As you say though, PAL is still way ahead in vertical color resolution compared to SECAM with its R-Y on one line, B-Y on the next approach.

Back on nominal supply voltages, you'll find some older British-made radio/TV/audio equipment which had voltage settings covering the full range from 200 through 250V, although in later years 220 to 250V was perhaps more common.

DJK,
Yes, I've seen 220V at outlets here from time to time, although it not that common forit to drop that low. About the lowest I've ever recorded at my present location is 224V (brown-outs due to faults excepted).

That would have been just outside the permitted 6% tolerance of a nominal 240V supply, although within the new 230V +10%/-6% tolerance.

Spain is notorious for bad voltage regulation in rural areas. Some people have reported getting only 170 - 180V on a regular basis in some areas!