Too many have no real idea what they're doing at all.

David, the folks buying cables down at B&Q or HomeBase on a Saturday morning sounds very familiar. I've mentioned this in another thread before, but one concern of mine over this point is the way these places put labels on the racks which indicate the current rating -- Always the absolute maximum for "clipped direct," never a word about derating for other situations.

Permitting only qualified people to carry out work sounds very good from the safety angle, but I'm not sure we should go down that road.

True, some people are so stupid that they should never even be allowed to change a fuse, but I'm not at all happy about restricting people's right to carry out work on their own home if they so wish.

That aside, I don't see how it could be effectively enforced. How is anyone going to know that somebody has added unauthorized wiring to his house?

Restricting sales of cable and fittings to licensed people would be of limited effectiveness. If somebody can't get the proper cable, he'll probably just use flex instead.