Hello Henry and welcome to the group!!

A majority of the EMCs that I have dealt with were made by Andover [I believe the model #s were AV8, or something like that].

There were quite a few instances in which the battery for back-up power had failed - either by being disconnected, bad connections, or completely removed - making the terminal lose it's program. The Client was having too much trouble trying to get the Service Provider, that they had originally contracted these systems' administration and maintenance, to come out and resolve the problems. This was part of the Client's last straw!

I tried to get the program from that Service Provider and they were extremely reluctant to even think of selling it to me. Even had some of the "upper brass" from the Client explain the reason why we needed it, but no luck [I was going to program one of the dumb terminals, at least, just to see if it was operational].

I know that the Service Company was afraid that they would lose this Client's business by letting me program their EMCs, but they didn't really think the whole thing out!
They would not come fix many terminals that had failed - even after months of calls from the Client. Their lack of service was why the Client discontinued with them [along with the fact that most terminals were inoperable].

The PM personnel for the Client knew that I could program these terminals and make them work finally, plus they were still going to keep them if I could rectify the trouble, but they just got fed up with the Service Company [or Companies] to the point that they discontinued the usage of their installed EMCs in all branches.

In California, it is necessary to have some type of Energy Management System [more like Energy Conservation devices] for Commercial projects, either New, Remodel or T.I., in order to be compliant to the State's Energy Conservation Code - Title 24, part 6 of the California Building / Electrical / Mechanical Code. They can range from simple systems using an Electronic Astronomical time clock [in addition to bi-level switched lighting, motion and occupancy detectors, timed and resetable overrides and energy efficient lighting equipment], up to a fully integrated EMC system.

The Title 24 energy conservation calculations limit the actual amount of volt-amps per square foot that are installed, however this does not effect the feeder's volt-amps per square foot calculations [the feeder's load calcs are still made using the NEC's listed VA/Sq. Ft. as according to the occupancy]. I showed volt-amps per square foot because the databases will have lamp wattages and ballast load - in volt-amps [or total line power].

Correction factors and credits are given to areas with energy saving controls, such as occupancy detectors, motion sensor control and automatic ambient lighting adjustment controls [light level controllers].

There is quite a lot to cover for T24 non- residential electrical designs, so I'll stop here.

Hope to see more of you in these forums!!

Scott. "S.E.T."

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!