I can't help feeling that the whole liability issue is getting completely out of hand (not at ECN; I'm speaking in general).

O.K., if I were to tell somebody to wire a 12kW electric range using #14 cable, then obviously the advice I have given is incorrect and dangerous. But here we are talking about giving general, but good, advice without being in a position to see the whole picture. The questioner has to accept that we will answer to the best of our ability but cannot possibly assume full responsibility for an installation we have not seen.

I saw in the news this morning that some guys are collectively suing four fast-food chains because they say that years of eating at those establishments has made them overweight. They had no part in eating too much of course -- It has to be somebody else's fault.

Maybe if I grab hold of two phases and get badly burned I can claim it was somebody else's fault too. Let's see, I can sue the manufacturer of the distribution panel, the cable manufacturer for providing the copper path which conducted the electricity to my body, the PoCo for supplying that electricity, and while we're about it, why not have a go at the Edison, Westinghouse estates et al for pioneering the stuff in the first place? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-26-2002).]