Dang,
If I keep agreeing with Bob, it's going to ruin our reputation, [Linked Image] but:
Any time I go into an existing job, I expect to find non-compliance. I don't think there's a building around that I can't find a violation (or 100) in.
I've never been shy about voicing my opinion about dangerous or unsafe things I find.

Rather than shooting myself in the foot repeatedly, I make sure that the customer is aware of any hazards I find, and I'll do my work to Code.
If I don't work it this way, I think the customer will just get another "hack" to come out and screw things up some more.

I will not add anything to an already goofed up install unless I can pick it up from a point before the goof ups.

"We'll have to run a new circuit from your panel in order to do this correctly."
NOT
"This thing's a big &^$%#@*() mess. If I can't fix it all, stuff it where the Sun don't shine"

I still retain my integrity, and go to bed at night (real early), [Linked Image] knowing that I made things better instead of worse.

Sometimes it pays off. My "thar she blows" pictures (on another thread) caused some major action when I gave the customer a copy of them.

If you can't fix it all, at least do what you can. Don't shoot yourself in the foot...S