I'll try to explain that if I can.(If you've got a few extra hours) I realize that I've been rambling in the last posts. (Caps are just for emphasis, I'm not yelling).
From the utility to the point of attachment
will be considered as the service DROP. This will be then connected to the service ENTRANCE CONDUCTORS. You can have UP TO as many SETS of service entrance conductors as you have occupancies (per 230-40 ex1) This is why there are 4 SETS OF SE CONDUCTORS connected to 1 service DROP in your pic. It's more practical to divide the metering and service disconnects into GROUPS of 6 rather than run 24 sets of SE conductors with 24 weatherheads (although technically you could do this). 6 is the maximum # of discos allowed PER SET of SE conductors, so 24 is the max for your 4 SETS. If, instead, one was to use a main switch (or up to 6) between the drop and the meter/disco, one set of SE conductors would be allowed to feed as many meters/discos as needed, because there would be a maximum of 6 operations needed to deenergize all of them.
In my particular case, 1 set of SE conductors was tapped from the LATERAL at the TERMINAL BOX (pull section), and 7 meters/discos were then put on this 1 set of SE conductors. This is a violation. If the 7th, however, is removed from this set of SE conductors, and is provided with a new set of SE conductors,tapped at the TERMINAL box, it (and up to 5 more on the new set) will be compliant. This very simple fix didn't occur to me until this discussion, I intended to install a main switch to cover all 7. The 8th meter could be installed on the same set of SE conductors as #7, but the unit is located the other direction from the TERMINAL BOX, so would be provided with another set of SE conductors of its own, tapped at the TERMINAL BOX, just to simplify things (5 more meters/discos could also be put on this set of SE conductors). I'm sure not gonna cut a hole in the front of the darn TERMINAL BOX for another meter ring, though (where was he gonna put the CT's and disco?)... and I'm STILL laughing..Thanks again, guys.