The company I work for does about 250 of these A/C split-systems each year. I have become somewhat of an expert on wiring them. They are expected to be complete within' a 3.5 hour time frame, and they are for the most part always in older homes.

My personal opinion is this.

The disconnect is much too high. It needs only to be readily accessible. I like to keep them as close as possible to the condensor so I can get by using the bare minimum of 36" of LNFC without having to use a strap. This method also cuts down on the cost of THHN, and when you're doing 250 of them per year, well....

A GFCI receptacle that is required within' 25' of HVAC equipment is also missing. I usually look to change an existing receptacle (as long as it's on the same level as the equipment) and bring it up to date with a GFI and an in-use cover. That's not always a good idea when dealing with older homes because you never want to open a can of worms.

The A/C guys run the 18-2 from the condensor, to the air handler, 95% of the time. We install the 18-3 and the t-stat.

p.s. most attics are filthy dirty too [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 03-16-2006).]