gfretwell, there are legitimate reasons, I assure you. But I can't to get into that detail of operational readiness on an internet forum. Sufficed to say from a financial standpoint, those 3 receptacles would cost us $5000 of your tax dollars to install, while the powerstrip will cost about $20.

Honestly, what's the difference between installing a receptacle and plugging a power strip into it, and hardwiring the power strip? The only difference I see is that you can yank one out of the socket easier. The disconnect switch provides the same level of disconnect/maintenance safety as the plug. The only real issue I see is perception.

I left NEC at work and the online version isn't working for me at the moment, iwire. I will look at 400.7 though! BTW, I talked with suppo again and it looks like we're scaled back enough that I (thankfully) won't need to do this jerry rig. The question still intrigues me, though!

Edit: A case could be made for both 400.7(A)(3) and 400.7(A)(6) to apply and allow this usage of flexible cord. Clearly, power strips (and their flexible cords) are legal in buildings, I don't think there is any dispute there. 400.7(B)/368.56 allows hardwiring under "hard" usage, which is very open-ended. The specific requirements (approved means of attachment, etc.) aren't difficult to meet.