ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Ever been afflicted by Gout?
by mbhydro - 09/15/20 05:50 PM
Questioning the electrical norms
by gfretwell - 09/13/20 01:17 PM
120/208 gives 240? please clarify
by NORCAL - 09/13/20 01:08 AM
Lock-down Thread
by Trumpy - 09/11/20 11:17 PM
Grounded metal cabinet?
by HotLine1 - 09/10/20 12:19 PM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? mbhydro 09/15/20 09:50 PM
And gout is associated to kidney stones. I have had painful stones 2x and gout like symptoms a few times.
6 134 Read More
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? HotLine1 09/14/20 07:53 PM
I was told shellfish, organ meats, and over indulgence in alcoholic beverages MAY trigger an attack.

Then another doc said eat in moderation and I should be fine, but take the med daily.

So far, I've been OK. Shellfish (shrimp) is a favorite, liverwurst too, and a 12 pack of Modelo or Sam Adams can last a month or more.
6 134 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Questioning the electrical norms gfretwell 09/13/20 05:17 PM
GFCI protection is much more significant than you would get by simply grounding the can. Using the toaster as an example GFCI protects the Darwin Award contestant who sticks a fork in there to retrieve a stuck piece of toast. Sinks and other water sources was where they began but standing barefoot on a tile floor in a house built on a slab is every bit as bad. The first thing I had to fix in this house was the grounding electrode system because the grounded equipment was carrying "tingle" voltage on the EGC, hence the can. Tingle is actually an understatement. It knocked the snot out of me the first morning I lived here. I was wide awake by the time the coffee was done.
22 12,290 Read More
Electrical Theory and Applications Jump to new posts
Re: 120/208 gives 240? please clarify NORCAL 09/13/20 05:08 AM
If the OP has 120/208V 3Ø feeding his building, then the individual units are 120/208V 1Ø, not 120/240V. Really quite common for larger multi-family buildings, electric ranges, clothes dryers are also rated for 120/208V at a lower KW rating, A/C equipment is 208/230V, with the only thing required is for the installer to change the tap on the control transformer. So there is really no problem.
8 427 Read More
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? NORCAL 09/13/20 04:53 AM
I take Allopurinol for gout, have not had a outbreak since I started taking it, and would not wish a outbreak on anyone. It can be controlled by diet but is pretty restrictive on what can be eaten.
6 134 Read More
Re: Questioning the electrical norms NORCAL 09/13/20 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Meadow
Originally Posted by gfretwell
Toasters in the US are the metaphor for a potentially deadly appliance but they sell for $10 US (less than a 12 pack of beer).
I suppose we just trust the GFCI and get on with our lives. The actual death toll from kitchen appliances is lost in the margin of error in the statistics.

The lack of ground pins on small appliances are actually what got GFCIs into homes. Had their been a mandate GFCI could have been delayed if not eliminated in some areas of the home.

This goes into the history:
http://www.necconnect.org/resources/gfcis/

GFCI's were required for bathrooms, outdoor locations, & garages, long before they were required in kitchens, even then the requirements were limited to receptacles within 6' of the sink until it was later expanded to the whole kitchen.
22 12,290 Read More
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? Trumpy 09/12/20 03:41 AM
Hey thanks for the replies, Greg and John,
After having done a bit more research into this condition, I think my guy Richie, was quite right.
He doesn't drink a lot, he eats just like you and I would.

He did mention though, that since having that attack, he had read somewhere, that having something as simple as a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar every morning, actually prevents the onset of a gout attack and helps the body to bring down the Uric Acid levels in your body.

However,
With further research, what causes gout are things called purines, they are in a lot of the things we eat and drink these days, by the way foods are processed.
Beer is one of the worst, seafood is the next one down, gout can also be triggered by such things as green beans or even so called fresh peas, it is different for everyones body make-up.
6 134 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: Lock-down Thread Trumpy 09/12/20 03:17 AM
I suppose if there is good news it would be that the same things we do to mitigate Covid would cut down on flu transmission so flu might not be bad this time around.

And Greg,
That's quite "funny" how that pans out, we've just been through winter here and the level of actual colds and flu's have been practically nil.
I mean you would normally have people sneezing all over the place or coughing without putting their hand over their mouth and that is how colds and flu's are transmitted.
One thing to take from this, if anything it has put back in place, common levels of hygiene when doing things like sneezing.
39 2,335 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread Trumpy 09/12/20 03:07 AM
That's strange because to read the stuff we see in this half of the world says you have that virus beat and other than quarantining visitors you are wide open.

Well, no, it's not like that at all here. mad
The media in the US, are using our situation over here, to try and stick it to the President.

The truth of the matter here is, the Government were SLACK, with requiring people to be tested and quarantined as they came into the country, this was even when we were under Level 4.
Some people weren't tested and travelled the length of the North Island and were found to test positive.

It then came out last week or the week before that they had not ever tested any of the front-line workers (doing the testing), until one of them fell ill, now I might be a mere electrician, but surely, wouldn't you require testing of people that are exposed to a virus, day in/day out?

There are people trying to get into New Zealand, because it is isolated from anywhere else in the world, like Hollywood actors, the rich and famous.
A pandemic like this is the great leveller, we don't care how much money or fame you have, we must look after the people that are already here.
And to be fair, the current Government has done a really poor job of looking after us, thank God it is election year!
39 2,335 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread gfretwell 09/12/20 01:25 AM
They just opened the bars here so I expect to see a spike and they might try to blame it on the schools. I know the colleges are not doing a lot of distancing. I guess, on the other hand, getting these people infected and cured will raise our herd immunity numbers a bit. CDC just came out today and pointed out the big break out in the numbers is age 70 for not surviving.
39 2,335 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread Bill Addiss 09/11/20 11:13 PM
Grandkids went back to school this week... sort of... 2 Days in school, and 3 Days home.

I'm not confident that will even last as apparently the Bar to closing them back down is pretty low.

Bill
39 2,335 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread gfretwell 09/10/20 07:14 PM
I suppose if there is good news it would be that the same things we do to mitigate Covid would cut down on flu transmission so flu might not be bad this time around.
39 2,335 Read More
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Re: Grounded metal cabinet? HotLine1 09/10/20 04:19 PM
Short answer is,

Metal enclosures are required to be 'bonded'.

NOT to the neutral conductor, except in MOCP equipment.

The other questions can be answered by you reading a book on basic electricity.

You may want to consult a Qualified Electrical Contractor regarding the space heater as you may be endangering yourself or your property by attempting to DIY.

I am closing this thread as the forum rules do not allow DIY.
1 83 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread HotLine1 09/10/20 04:13 PM
BigB

I guess only time will tell.

It is also going to be flu season, so it could be a real mess.
39 2,335 Read More
NEC & other Code issues Jump to new posts
Grounded metal cabinet? Same 09/10/20 12:13 PM

My understanding is that metal cabinet needs to be grounded to the common or neutral 3 wire.

Questions:

When is 3 wire required and when 2?

Why are some plastic cabinets polarized 2 wire or 3 wire?

Why is this metal cabinet space heater that im try to fix, why its 2 wire and neither is common grounded to its metal cabinet?
1 83 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread BigB 09/10/20 01:12 AM
I heard a guy on TV saying that the Corona viruses are viruses that spread more in the fall and winter, and that it could really blow up this fall/winter. I hope he is wrong but I have a suspicion he is correct and we may see it worse this winter than it was earlier in the year.
39 2,335 Read More
Building Codes for Electricians Jump to new posts
Re: Free Codes? gfretwell 09/08/20 10:20 PM
NFPA just was not happy that they were losing control of their product.
27 38,606 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? grich 09/08/20 06:50 PM
The one thing we didn't have in Y2K that we have now is pervasive "social media", spewing all sorts of rumor and outright fabrication, either coming from stupid people or smartly crafted by someone wanting to manipulate stupid people.

And I am getting tired of Facebook yelling at me to sign up to vote EVERY time I log in...
14 949 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? HotLine1 09/08/20 06:36 PM
Hey Mike, Portland Oregon (for one) is on about the 100th day of unrest. Civil disobedience (Riot).

Yes, media has it on the 'news' everyday
14 949 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread HotLine1 09/08/20 06:34 PM
Some form of 'near normal' is setting in here in NJ.

Indoor dining at 25% capacity started Friday 9/4 and most things are open with masks and social distance rules.

We were out over the weekend, and still sat outside to eat. Our choice as it was a beautiful day.

We have a quarantine list of states that IF we travel there, we have to quarantine for 14 days. The list changes at the Governors data points, like ROI.
39 2,335 Read More
Building Codes for Electricians Jump to new posts
Re: Free Codes? HotLine1 09/08/20 06:30 PM
Mike:

I would agree with you 100%, and take it on a USB stick, or copy it to a stick myself.

I still have a bunch of CDs & DVDs, and when I may need the data, I use my wife's Apple DVD/CD accessory drive. I's a pain, but you have to do what you have to do sometimes.
27 38,606 Read More
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? HotLine1 09/08/20 06:26 PM
First YES it is painful, and it is a uric acid issue. I've had it two or three times and I wish it on no one!!

The first time, I thought I broke my large toe on my right foot. It got more painful within 12 hrs., and I would up in the ER, as it was 'off hours' for my Doc. 1 shot in the ER, off for painful x-rays, and NO, my toe was not broken.

They gave me a script for Prednisone, dose pack, put me in a wheel chair and rolled me out. The dose pack worked great, and the following evening the pain was tolerable. I was out of work for three days.

The recurring lead to me having a 'dose pack' on hand. I still have one at the ready. I also have Alpurinol (sp) which is to keep the uric acid at bay.

So far, it's under control. I have to be careful with the Pred, as I also have some gastro issues.

The old adage was it's a drinking mans illness, but that is not the case.

Yes, the pain was the worst.
6 134 Read More
Re: Ever been afflicted by Gout? gfretwell 09/08/20 06:14 PM
They have suspected I had gout several times but my uric acid levels don't support that and they are calling it psoriatic arthritis for lack of a better diagnosis. The symptom is inflammation in the joints and the pain can be pretty bad along with loss of strength and flexibility. I am dealing with it with exercise (physical therapy).
Essentially I am just gutting my way through.
Gout itself is a similar condition but there is a chemical problem (crystals in the joints) they can identify but the treatment is pretty much the same, If you can take them they will give you NSAIDs from OTC Ibuprofen up to harder stuff like Diclophenac. I will take one occasionally but not often because it is a stomach irritant. You can also use steroids like Prednisone but that comes with it's own list of dangers. In my case they also want to give me autoimmune drugs like Methotrexate but I wouldn't touch that stuff.
6 134 Read More
Re: Lock-down Thread gfretwell 09/08/20 05:57 PM
That's strange because to read the stuff we see in this half of the world says you have that virus beat and other than quarantining visitors you are wide open.
39 2,335 Read More
Re: HVDC Greece to Crete Trumpy 09/08/20 08:04 AM
My God!,
Why would you not want a power upgrade like this?
Especially to negate the burning of fossil-fuels. crazy
New Zealand has a system like this, run mainly overhead from Benmore hydro dam in Otago under Cook Strait with 500kVDC, the total length is 610km.

3 power stations using mainly mazut

Mazut?

The station at Benmore here is miles away from anything, it had a LARGE rectifier bank in it, I visited it during my apprenticeship training as a Liney, it had a large buzzing sound before you even get near the place.
That was back in the days of LARGE Mercury Arc rectifiers, they are all solid-state these days.

I have also seen the other end of it at Haywards, west of Wellington, where the 3 (5) cables exit Cook Strait and head into an Inverter bank, nitrogen transmission system and switching station, there is no noise at all from the inverter banks, apart from the steady fans that keep the heatsinks cool.
2 204 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Niko