ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
What does your work place look like?
by Lostazhell - 12/01/20 03:44 AM
Where is Everyone?
by gfretwell - 11/30/20 04:12 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by gfretwell - 11/30/20 04:04 PM
From an outsider- How does tipping work?
by gfretwell - 11/30/20 04:00 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by dsk - 11/30/20 03:51 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 27 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Photos for General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: What does your work place look like? Lostazhell 11 hours ago
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Jesus, Randy!!
You have to come in here and show us all up, don't you? grin
I like that pipe at the top of the picture.
Is this just for the people at FB or is it going to be an actual restaurant?
It'd be nice to see this once it's finished.
Top marks, mate!

It's just for FB employees. The building we did next door has a similar kitchen that could feed half the SF Bay area at one time. We essentially finished our kitchen right before the "rona hit with everyone else still in troubleshoot mode grin Both buildings are 8 floors with a bunch of open office space, meeting rooms, "Cozy rooms" and "Comfy rooms whistle 2nd floor has 2 big presentation rooms (each with a 292" Samsung "Wall" OLED screen that had to be drug in through a removed window from a crane lift and a Preston deck. crazy ) 3rd floor is mostly servers IIRC. 8th floor has a huge balcony that would be a hit for any party.

As our crew was essentially finished and when we all became "essential", we ended up at the big pharma project in South San Francisco. (Which Oyster Point appears to be quickly becoming the real estate of choice for pharma labs.) Lots of clean rooms, vivariums and general lab spaces along with -80°C freezers that would be perfect for chilling a 12 pack in a hurry! grin This is the 4th big pharma job I've done on the same street over here.
15 5,774 Read More
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: Where is Everyone? gfretwell Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Our snowbirds seem to be coming early. Usually we don't see them in force until after Christmas. These are usually from the upper midwest. (Ohio to Wisconsin/Minnesota).
The Canadians are supposed to stay home but they are doing strange things to hop the border like shipping their car and coming over in a helicopter. This last week simply demonstrates that Americans have a bad habit of not doing anything the government tells them to. We set records for the most people on a plane since Covid got going.
21 2,556 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving gfretwell Yesterday at 09:04 PM
I always use a thermometer and cook it in a bag.
8 206 Read More
Re: From an outsider- How does tipping work? gfretwell Yesterday at 09:00 PM
Yup 15-20% is pretty much standard and it is reflected in the wages the wait staff gets paid. The assumption is they make most of their money in tips.
1 37 Read More
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades Jump to new posts
Re: Ground fault remover :-) dsk Yesterday at 08:51 AM
When I started this thread it was to point out how a so called travel adapter, probably designed to help you out to charge the phone or shaver, even a hair dryer is to much for it, but it may easily be misused, and it may cost lives.

The thread has been wider, and I use several US units not meant for use here in Norway. Mainly because it is not available here. All equipment made for DC with adapters are really no problem, most of the adapters are made for 100-240V 50-60Hz and draw far less then 1 amp so if I do not care to change it, an adapter will work well, I usually tighten the springs to get safer connection, and glue the plug adapter to the original adapter.
I also have equipment instruments and test tools only made for US standards. Then use an transformer 230 to 115V. 60 Hz transformers may get problems with 50Hz due to a need of more heavy cores, so I watch them carefully, but it is still a risk.
12 1,165 Read More
From an outsider- How does tipping work? Trumpy Yesterday at 08:50 AM
Hi Folks,
I've been to the US twice, the first time was on a business trip in 1990, the second time was on a package tour from California in a crescent down through Texas and up through the Eastern states.
I know that you have to tip people that give you good service, but where does this begin and end?
Reason I ask this is because a mate of mine who is still in the US, says that he has to tip at least 20% of the restaurant bill, or whatever they stipulate at the bottom of the check.
Is this a normal thing?

Sorry to be so off-topic, but when I was in the US, it was whatever you nominated when you pay the check?
1 37 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Trumpy Yesterday at 08:32 AM
Greg,
A couple of years back, my older sister called me up and asked me if I could possibly "bone out" a turkey for her.
I said maybe, when I had this in front of me, it seemed enormous.

Sharpen the knife and remove all of the meat without removing the skin, because that is where all of the flavour is.
We obviously had to take the wings and drum-sticks off.
She made all of the stuffing and we made it into a rolled roast, baked it in a fan oven for 2 hours, basted it in the juices and some cranberry sauce, after the centre was at 51°C, we took it out of the oven and rested it.
No one more than me was more amazed as to how that came out.
It is either over-cooked, or it's food-poisoning. grin
8 206 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? Trumpy Yesterday at 08:11 AM
Greg,
Is that like the last gasp of summer people from the north heading down your way?
How far north are you talking?

I was on the understanding that the Government told everyone to stay at home over Thanksgiving, to try and keep the Covid 19 thing under wraps.
Yet there seemed to be people flying everywhere, like nothing at all was a problem, as long as you wore a mask.
And in the queues, there were people that weren't wearing masks.

Over here, the Pakistani cricket team are staying in Christchurch, they breached the Quarantine cordons and went to visit some friends, 6 of them tested positive a day later. mad
Who know's who they met up with.
21 2,556 Read More
Re: What does your work place look like? Trumpy Yesterday at 07:45 AM
Jesus, Randy!!
You have to come in here and show us all up, don't you? grin
I like that pipe at the top of the picture.
Is this just for the people at FB or is it going to be an actual restaurant?
It'd be nice to see this once it's finished.
Top marks, mate!
15 5,774 Read More
Occupational Safety Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money? Trumpy Yesterday at 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by sabrown
May I apologize for us Amercians for the persons lack of being able to express themselves using proper words and assuming anyones lifestyle choices.

No need for an apology at all Shane, this particular guy just ramped up quite suddenly, this would be quite odd in your part of the world as well, I would imagine. cool
30 52,038 Read More
Re: Ground fault remover :-) Trumpy Yesterday at 07:27 AM
I totally agree, Rollie,
We've had people come over here with ovens, dryers and what-not, EXPECTING an appliance like this to work.
While you can wire a US oven here as 230V, doesn't mean you should.
The clocks on 60Hz ovens don't keep time like they should over here. crazy
12 1,165 Read More
Re: What does your work place look like? NORCAL 11/29/20 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Nice kitchen/cafeteria!!

Two questions

What is an FB building?

What is the yellow paint on the conduits right of the j-box?

FB = Fake Book. laugh
15 5,774 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? gfretwell 11/27/20 11:18 PM
We suddenly had a mass influx of northerners at the beach this weekend and I think we will see a lot of new infections. I am not much of a beach guy so I won't be part of that mess.
21 2,556 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? mbhydro 11/27/20 09:04 PM
Starting to get a little scary here in Manitoba Canada. We are at a 14% test rate for Covid-19 where I live in Winnipeg.

One of the smaller cities about 30 minutes east of me is at a 40% test rate and they are having protests from some of the church groups there about limiting the number of people at church services and having to wear face masks.

There was next to no in person Black Friday shopping here due to the health dept shopping shutdown rules.
21 2,556 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving gfretwell 11/27/20 01:52 AM
Two people and a big yellow dog didn't make a dent in a 16 pound turkey.

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
8 206 Read More
Re: Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money? HotLine1 11/26/20 05:28 PM
Trumpy

The torque screwdrivers were for primarily for circuit breaker terminations, and control panels..not devices.

Specs are on the labels of most panels (resi & light comm) and mfg info for larger panels and breakers.
30 52,038 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving HotLine1 11/26/20 05:11 PM
We just are going to ou daughters house with the grandkids for the day..

Staying below the ‘suggestion’ of our Gov; aka “the murph”. Max 10 people, windows and doors open for ventilation, and social distance. Hell, that sounds like a 6’wide by 24’ long table for eight people. Add in a really large dining room, or we may have to go and set up in the backyard.
8 206 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Bill Addiss 11/26/20 03:34 PM
Hope they let you keep your power today Electure, just heard they might be planning some Power outages there in CA.

Everybody, no matter what you're doing this year stay safe as you can.

Bill
turkey

PS, can't tell you what I'm doing, might be close to the 'allowed' head count, but it's with family that I see every day... cheers
8 206 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving electure 11/26/20 01:45 PM
I'm going to stay home sequestered from the World this year with sliced turkey and ham from the deli! grin

8 206 Read More
Re: Ground fault remover :-) NORCAL 11/26/20 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trumpy
Greg,
I had to read your post at least twice, I was wondering how on earth you managed to use your gear here on a 230V system. smile

And yes, you'd get that with them universal devices that work on pretty much 100-300V (I think it is).
The reason I mentioned the whole adapter thing in the first place was that, what used to be EnergySafe here (which is now under WorkSafe/OSH), banned the importation and use of certain types of travel adapters, back in 2010(?)

This was due to people importing cheap appliances that were never meant to run on 230V single phase, buying an adapter and lo and behold, the kitchen/house goes on fire,
mainly because the load current through the said adapters was well outside of their design current.
However, I'm talking about high current appliances like toasters and kettles, although I'm not sure why you'd go through all that bother, when you can buy a decent toaster or kettle here for NZ$20-30, that will work perfectly fine and not go on fire, if you're lucky.

I am a firm believer in buying appliances made for and approved for the country one is living in, come to think of it have not seen any threads anywhere in a long time about using American dryers in the 50 HZ world, not going to work. laugh
12 1,165 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving sabrown 11/25/20 07:00 PM
I am grateful for the small turkey my wife found and for her working away right now to prepare a meal for three of us (and taking to 4 more who are quarantined). Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Shane
8 206 Read More
Re: Work Gloves? sabrown 11/25/20 06:54 PM
Seems that I can't do anything anymore without gloves without wondering where all the blood came from.

Shane
6 205 Read More
Re: Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money? sabrown 11/25/20 06:52 PM
May I apologize for us Amercians for the persons lack of being able to express themselves using proper words and assuming anyones lifestyle choices.

Shane
30 52,038 Read More
Re: What does your work place look like? Lostazhell 11/25/20 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Nice kitchen/cafeteria!!

Two questions

What is an FB building?

What is the yellow paint on the conduits right of the j-box?

FB = Facebook. This is part of the first floor of MPK 62

The yellow is masking tape with conduit ID numbers from BIM modeling.

I really miss the days when we'd get prints saying put 2 circuits over here, put 3 circuits over there and throw in a couple general use circuits for the janitor... Whoever is doing our prints either has a bizarre sense of humor or is just out of college and has no idea how phasing and circuit numbers in a panel line up, among other things. There's too much ambiguous info on prints now which ends up confusing a lot of people. Then there's the fact that our BIM never seems to match other trades so we end up in each others way anyways.
15 5,774 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving gfretwell 11/24/20 10:44 PM
Two of us will be trying to eat a 16 pound turkey. We can't have a big gang to help and they don't have smaller birds here. Chili it is wink
8 206 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)