ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
VDE 0100 to introduce AFCIs
by sparky. 01/20/18 05:09 PM
MRI LED lights dimmer control replacement - wow!
by Potseal. 01/19/18 08:52 PM
Video: Inventor of the GFCI self-testing shocks
by Bill Addiss. 01/17/18 11:11 PM
FPE in Germany
by HotLine1. 01/17/18 07:07 PM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs
by Admin. 01/16/18 07:04 PM
New in the Gallery:
Housebilding DIY wiring
SE cable question
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (sparky), 10 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Non-US Electrical Systems & Trades
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Ok Uksparx, i'm going to let you in on the dirty little afci secret. They are no more than what your RCD's already are. AFCI technology is based on time honored toroidal coils

This is the heart of your RCD's

No matter how much electronica one places in line with a toroidal, it will all only sense what a toroidal can sense

Our testing labs devised a 15KV 'simulator' , which energized a piece of zip (lamp) cord , with a cut in it AND wrapped in flammable tape to pass a 'series arc' test here

The rest is afci "combination" history

I would like to think your country has a tad more integrity in it's validation of consumables

~S~
13 5,702 Read More
Yesterday at 06:30 PM
hmm, reading some snippets from the upcoming new regulations here in the UK, it looks like we are going to have to deal with the horrors that are AFCIs here very soon!
13 5,702 Read More
General Discussion Area
Yesterday at 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by andey
In a sensitive environment like a hospital or MRI suite, I would strongly recomment to swap such parts 1:1.
Somebody must have checked their usability for this environment before, maybe even wrote a risk assessment for it.
If you put in a 50$ dimmer, you take over the responsibility, if problems develop.

When you start thinking about the money burnt and mis-used in medical care, (as in many many other fields) you will not get any more nights sleep. I try not to think about it.

I used to work in medical electronics engineering for a short time and sometimes heard the sentence "money doesnt play a role". Thats one reason why I didnt stick with medical.

Nobody's thinking of trying a standard $50 dimmer. As I mentioned above, I read the manufacturer's documentation and it explains the difference in how their MRI dimmer works vs a standard dimmer. But is it worth $1300? I really doubt it. Unfortunately in the health care system we often find ourselves in this position, for many reasons, where you have no choice.

In less critical areas we don't always follow that route. For example, I have had circuit boards go on automatic door openers and have replaced them with general purpose circuit boards that can be programmed to do the same thing as the OEM part (these doors are NOT controlled by the building's fire system). Naturally, these are items that are no longer under warranty. I am not trying to save the health system $$$ with the thought that I am making a difference - that's hopeless. For many of us I think it's part of our make-up to find inexpensive solutions where it appears that we might be getting taken advantage of.
4 74 Read More
Yesterday at 01:03 AM
Thx LongRunner

I gotta keep referencing these earthing systems you folks are talking about ,so bear with me.

So, if you're using 30ma RCD's , are they now going to be marketed as 30ma afci RCD's?

~S~
13 5,702 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/19/18 11:19 PM
Potseal:

As Ghost said, think of the possible liability you, your boss, the company may face. You may want to look at the original plans and specs for the MRI suite, and replace with the exact same items. If the plans/specs are not available, think about contacting the MRI mfg., for assistance.

The personal injury/medical malpractice lawyers here, in the event of an incident would be lined up.
4 74 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/19/18 04:37 PM
Those types of installation are very tricky as they are sensitive to stuff we would never think of.
Even the light fixtures have to be designed specifically for the MRI suite.

I'd ask why things cost so much (for my own education); but I'd still put it in (for my own peace of mind).
You may save a few dollars now; but what will it end up costing if the MRI misses something in a patient and the lawyers trace it back to someone trying to save a buck or two.
4 74 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/19/18 11:05 AM
In a sensitive environment like a hospital or MRI suite, I would strongly recomment to swap such parts 1:1.
Somebody must have checked their usability for this environment before, maybe even wrote a risk assessment for it.
If you put in a 50$ dimmer, you take over the responsibility, if problems develop.

When you start thinking about the money burnt and mis-used in medical care, (as in many many other fields) you will not get any more nights sleep. I try not to think about it.

I used to work in medical electronics engineering for a short time and sometimes heard the sentence "money doesnt play a role". Thats one reason why I didnt stick with medical.
4 74 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/19/18 03:41 AM
I got a call last week to check out a problem with lighting in an MRI suite. There are two separate LED lighting circuits in the room with the MRI. One set of lights was working and the other set was "off" and the switch/dimmer control failed to turn them "on". After a few minutes of troubleshooting it appeared the problem was at the switch/dimmer control. I got lucky and after momentarily removing one of the wires at the back of the control the lights turned "on". Didn't solve the problem since the switch/dimmer control couldn't turn the lights "off". For the moment, having the lights permanently "on" is better than "off". My boss looked at what it would cost to buy a replacement control. He was a little shocked to find out it would be $1300. So what makes this control so special?

After reading about the product and how it's designed for the MRI suite I assume it's all about the R&D that goes into making a lighting system that works with little maintenance and minimal interference with the imaging. A few years back there was a MRI suite renovation that I worked on and heard about how the maintenance staff had to routinely change the incandescent bulbs nearest the MRI because the magnet would damage the filaments. We upgraded the lights to LED but apparently there was imaging problems after. Could it have been due to dimmer control interference? I do not recall that the LEDs and control we used were designed specifically for an MRI suite.

The documentation for the expensive dimmer control for the MRI suite I was working in last week describes how a typical LED dimmer, that uses PWM to vary the light output, creates a square wave which can cause interference with the MRI's imaging results. The expensive MRI designed dimmer apparently creates a trapezoid wave which supposedly minimizes interference with the image quality. But is it worth $1300? Apparently this manufacturer claims that 3rd party 0-10V dimming control will work but only if you buy a special module to interface the 3rd party dimmer and their proprietary dimming system. I can only imagine how much that would cost.

At the end of the day I guess you can look at the big picture and start adding up how expensive MRI's are to install and operate and then the $1300 dimmer control doesn't look very expensive. On the other hand it's a publicly funded system that is always trying to find money so any time you can save a dollar...some administrator with zero accountability will find another way to waste two smile
4 74 Read More
Photo Gallery
01/18/18 10:04 AM
Well, I've thought about it in the meantime, and here are my ideas for an improved version:
  • Fully enclosed surface boxes, e.g. Clipsal 238 (however, 2000 Series surrounds will overhang it, according to the document A0000143); alternatively, No. 449A blocks with 449AP backing plates
  • Clipsal 2025QC (Quick Connect) outlets? (The connections to them are meant to be more reliable than screws, not just quicker. However, if using the No. 238 boxes, I might end up using the No. 25 outlets instead to avoid the overhanging surround issue.)
  • Conduit to protect the cables (or would the orange circular cables comply?)
  • Closer intervals, say 15 or 16cm instead of the 20cm I chose originally (though rather than for safety reasons, this is because at the present spacing, my knee is prone to bumping into the left outlet.)
  • If there's a way of using metal screws for the inlet while keeping them double-insulated from the live parts, then I'd like to do so for the mechanical strength (compared to using the plastic screws - not that those aren't strong enough, but I like things to be rugged). (Maybe cover them with neutral-cure silicone?)
8 4,229 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/18/18 04:11 AM
LOL
iagree
6 132 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/18/18 04:08 AM
That's a really suitable name ............ "Got Fried" (Gottfried)
rolleyes
6 132 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/18/18 02:36 AM
Interesting...

Got to be Committed!

Reminds me of the SawStop Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk

Wow...
6 132 Read More
01/18/18 12:07 AM
FPE here in the US was Federal Pacific Electric/Federal Pacific Electrical with FPE as their company logo. As I mentioned earlier, they had a plant here in Newark, NJ back in the day.

Their products ranged from the ‘famous’ Stab-Loc’ CBs, panels, switchgear, fuseable disconnect switches, to transformers (dry type is all I seen) and probably a lot of other items. The ‘Stab-Loc’ logo was also on their line of bolt-on CBs, as well as the ‘lug-lug’ breakers. Their demise was related to the ‘Stab-Loc’ failure to trip, and loss of UL listing. There are still many FPE panels around, they are a favorite item for the Home Inspectors (not AHJs) to write up as “dangerous”, ‘Must be replaced” etc.
20 4,672 Read More
01/17/18 10:37 PM
Cool! I wonder how many of these StabLoks were actually sold, the company doesn't seem to have been around for long!
20 4,672 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/17/18 10:32 PM
Just a quick note, he didn't invent the RCD. He did design the first working 30-mA RCD though. Older ones had trip currents of up to 3 amps but they were sold in fairly large numbers. My great-grandparents' house in Germany was built in 1955 and has an original 1-amp RCD serving a single three-phase socket right next to the meter, close to the front door. Everything else is straight TN-C with Diazed fuses, except for some 1970s upgrades. I suppose the reasoning behind putting that one socket on an RCD was that it was most likely to power questionable outdoor loads.
6 132 Read More
01/17/18 03:32 PM
30mA, generally (though 10mA RCD outlets are available for medical applications). At least 2 RCDs are required in an Australian home, and each RCD may feed a maximum of 3 subcircuits.

Normally we use the Multiple Earthed Neutral system (similar to Protective Multiple Earthing in the UK), which does not require a main RCD as used with TT systems.
13 5,702 Read More
Safety News and Product Recalls
01/17/18 12:04 AM
Fujifilm Recalls Power Adapter Wall Plugs Sold with Digital Cameras Due to Shock Hazard

Recall Date: January 16, 2017
Recall Number: 18-079

Recall Summary

Name of Product:
Power adapter wall plugs sold with Fujifilm digital cameras

Hazard: The power adapter wall plug can crack, break or detach and remain in the wall and expose live electrical contacts, posing a shock hazard.

Remedy: Replace
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled power adapter wall plugs and contact Fujifilm for a free replacement. Consumers can continue to charge the camera using the USB cable attached to a computer.

Consumer Contact:
Fujifilm toll-free at 833-613-1200 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, email at productsafety@fujifilm.com, or online at www.fujifilmusa.com and click on “Support & Contact” for more information.

Pictures available here: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/F...with-Digital-Cameras-Due-to-Shock-Hazard

Recall Details

Units:
About 270,000 (In addition, about 24,000 were sold in Canada.)

Description:
This recall involves AC-5VF power adapter wall plugs sold with Fujifilm digital camera models XP90, XP95, XP120, XP125, X-A3 and X-A10. The digital cameras were sold in a variety of colors. The recalled wall plugs are black and are combined with a power adapter and USB cord that plugs into the adapter. Model number “AC-5VF” is printed on the back of the power adapter. The serial number is printed on the bottom of the camera or under the battery compartment lid. To check your serial number, visithttp://fujifilmusa.com/support/recall/index.html

Incidents/Injuries:
None reported
Sold At:
Mass merchandisers, electronics and membership club stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com and other websites. The XP90 and XP95 were sold from June 2016 through January 2018, the XP120 and XP125 were sold from January 2017 through January 2018, the X-A3 was sold from October 2016 through January 2018, and the X-A10 was sold from February 2017 through January 2018. The digital cameras were sold for between $160 and $600 with the power adaptor wall plugs.
Importer(s):
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, of Valhalla, N.Y.

Distributor(s):
FUJIFILM North America Corporation, of Valhalla, N.Y.

Manufactured In:
China
0 40 Read More
01/16/18 11:36 PM
Question for you LongRunner, does Oz use RCD's @ 30ma?

Mains @ 100ma ?

~S~
13 5,702 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/16/18 11:30 PM
Good one, 'ol Gottfried really had faith in what he was doing....

~S~
6 132 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/16/18 05:53 PM
Just remember, The GFCI/RCD might prevent stopping your heart but it doesn't keep you from falling off the ladder.
6 132 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/16/18 12:39 PM
Sorry this Video is in German language, but I reckon it's fun to watch anyways. Gottfried Biegelmeier of Felten&Gillaume Austria (Later Moeller, now Eaton), often credited as an inventor of the general use GFCI in 1957, endures a few hundred different AC shocks while connected to an ECG and with a defibrillator on standby, to test his products. You can see that the ECG is altered for a few beats after the shock, and the muscular contractions of the whole body.
Body resistances down to 1kohm, peak body currents around 0.4 Amps.

Back then, they took this as prove that a GFCI protects from heart fibrillation, even thou the mechanics take a moment to operate. I don't know how thoughts on this are today.

Stole the link from another German forum, TexasRanger knows which one wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08r27LnLHCM
6 132 Read More
Canadian Electrical Code Topics
01/16/18 02:08 AM
Haven't heard back from the manufacturer yet but I was able to get more detailed information from the supplier. The specifications show that for the model I am supplying power to #10 AWG is the minimum recommended conductor size. So, no surprises.
9 113 Read More
01/15/18 04:38 PM
They may come to Australia next: http://www.ecdonline.com.au/content...-the-risk-of-electrical-fires-1188033210

High-frequency noise is mentioned as a way of detection, but how are they going to reliably ignore noise from things like switching power supplies and brush motors? (Sure, such items have filters; but they don't completely block RF, and the filter capacitors can deteriorate and drop in capacitance.)

And if they're so confident in the efficacy of AFCIs, why can't they come up with a standardised test?

I'd just want to see independent proof of their performance in realistic scenarios, to be convinced. (I can't say I've succeeded in maintaining an arc between a normal 240V plug and socket under load, so make of that what you will...)
13 5,702 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/15/18 02:57 PM
It seems that the proliferation of import items are avoiding any real certifications. There are a lot of items similar to the one stated in this thread on websites like Amazon & EBay. It looks like a great way to sell.

And, Thank You ~s~ for the ‘17 version of 324.12.
10 180 Read More
General Discussion Area
01/15/18 12:05 PM
324.12 Uses Not Permitted. FCC systems shall not be used in
the following locations:
(1) Outdoors or in wet locations
(2) Where subject to corrosive vapors
(3) In any hazardous (classified) location
(4) In residential buildings
(5) In school and hospital buildings, other than administra‐
tive office areas

Looks like the '17 limited it's usage even more.....?

~S~
10 180 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Featured:

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
waymag
waymag
dallas, texas, USA