ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
From an outsider- How does tipping work?
by gfretwell - 12/02/20 02:38 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 04:11 AM
Where is Everyone?
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 03:51 AM
What does your work place look like?
by Trumpy - 12/02/20 03:42 AM
Ground fault remover :-)
by dsk - 11/30/20 03:51 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Scott35), 20 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
General Discussion Area Jump to new posts
Re: From an outsider- How does tipping work? gfretwell Yesterday at 07:38 PM
The thinking is that your customer IS your boss in the service industry. Your wages are influenced by the quality of your service, not the government or the whims of what your boss wants to pay. In most establishments the wait staff ends up making more money than they would from any sort of wage. If you end up in a place like McDonalds where they don't tip, you are going to be making something near minimum wage but these days even McDonalds pays more than minimum wage. There is a big push to raise the minimum wage to $15US but a lot of people think that will simply end up eliminating a lot of low wage jobs. It will also, no doubt, change our attitude on tips when prices rise to pay for that wage increase and those people in higher scale establishments where several hundred bucks a night is not unusual, might end up losing money.
I know lots of people in server world and if you work in a decent place, it ends up being a very lucrative job. Even in places like "Outback" (An OZ themed steak joint) my buddy's kid was making $300 a night on tips, in about 5 hours.
3 79 Read More
Re: From an outsider- How does tipping work? Trumpy Yesterday at 09:26 AM
Greg,
That's pretty awful.
I mean, where your weekly take-home pay is based upon the gratuity you get from customers, not from your actual boss, seems a bit on the nose.
Is there a minimum wage in the US?
Sure, if you have a very minimum skill-set (like you left school with little or no qualifications), you aren't going to get paid that well.
However, I just feel that a lot of the employers (particularly in the hospo industry), use this tipping system so that they don't have to give an extra cent to the people that actually help their business run.
3 79 Read More
Re: Happy Thanksgiving Trumpy Yesterday at 09:11 AM
Yes,
We had thought about the bag idea, but after having gone to multiple places, we couldn't find an oven bag large enough to fit the original turkey in (turkey is not that well favoured over here, chicken is a lot more popular, or a rolled roast of beef. )

However, I was reminded the other day when I was on YouTube, as to how many people, still deep-fry turkeys in the US (and other places) and never take into account the actual displacement of the turkey when they lower it into the fryer, some of them quite suddenly.
Of course, there are no fire extinguishers or a hose to put out the side of the building, just lots of bad language and "call the Fire Department!!!!". grin
9 240 Read More
Re: Where is Everyone? Trumpy Yesterday at 08:51 AM
Yeah,
All of our recent Covid-19 cases in the last 2 months or so have been from people coming in from overseas.
It's like the government still lets people in and they have the virus even before they came here.
I mean, we live here on a couple of islands in the middle of the sea, this sort of thing should not even be happening.
If I was running the show, you would be tested before you even got on the plane and then tested again before you leave the airport to go to the Quarantine facility.
22 2,602 Read More
Photos for General Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: What does your work place look like? Trumpy Yesterday at 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Lostazhell

The building we did next door has a similar kitchen that could feed half the SF Bay area at one time.

So I take it, this is a vegan kitchen? grin

2nd floor has 2 big presentation rooms (each with a 292" Samsung "Wall" OLED screen

My God!, why on earth do you ever need to have a screen of THAT size?
If that is on the diagonal, it's like 7.5 metres across, what do they use to drive such a screen?

Sounds like you're pretty busy, mate, the only way to be.
16 5,810 Read More
Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

Member Spotlight
Joe Tedesco
Joe Tedesco