Scott, they also for some time had a phone number to call for information (a voicemail recording), that also refered you to the website.... [Linked Image] But the only way to get that phone number was from the website, only to be reffered to the website again. It had the same recording for years.

(415)703-4917
It has been only slightly modified, it still reffers you to the website. (Spainish option, and some detial about what you might owe in money.) But offers another number to call (415)703-4919, and you can leave a message, I doubt anyone has ever recieved a return call from it about any question they might have had. It's a black hole.........

Or you can do what I did on a few occassions, (If you're in town, e-mail me I tell you a good place to park.) Show up in person at thier office, and harrass the secretary for information, who at first reffers you to the website, [Linked Image] but will then be very forthcoming in the fact that they have no idea about some of the many things still to be covered.

Or: (I have had some luck with this too)
Call or write thier main office.

San Francisco operational services
455 Golden Gate Avenue, 10th floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 703-4920
(415) 703-5477 (fax)

Or for that matter any of thier other offices.... http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/das_offices.htm

But I warn you now, any information that you do get, may be sparse, misleading, or inaccurate. Because they just don't know.... (That is after you get past them refferring you to the website.) Truthfully, and I don't think it is just my sole opinion anymore, they have no clue what they are doing. I used to think that the lack of information was part of the conspiracy, (It still might be* [Linked Image] [Linked Image] ) but really, these people are idiots, and they are toying with our futures.

* At this point anyone without an application in before Dec 30,2005, has to become an Electrician Trainee, at the cost of ~$500 a semester for several years, or go back to being an apprentice in an approved program, for COMMERCIAL WORK ONLY. General Journeyman

But you still have time to limit yourself, possibly for good, to residential only, as a "Residential Journeyman". Otherwise you would have to become an "ET", or apprentice, to do commercial work.

IMO you are an Electrician, or you are not! This division of Commercial / Residential is bogus. (The difference lays in the customer, and depending on local codes, the material, not the skill.) I could say more but would enter politics specific only to San Francisco, from what I understand.

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 06-18-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason