Oh where to begin, and where to end?

Before Electrical Apprenticeship was not mandatory. There were several ways to enter the trade. Two seperate forms of formal apprenticeship via IBEW or other Merit shops and Associations. Then the many various informal apprenticeships AKA OJT. Or for that matter no training at all - just get a job, and do what you're told.....

As far as calling yourself an Electrician business wise there were two options and still are. Be un-licensed and be limited to under $500 of totalproject contract price, or be licensed by the CSLB . (They enforce the B&P side of the law, and license all construction contractors state-wide, with exceptions for certain telecom, and security contractors, and of couse the oil and gas industry.... For Electricians that license would be a C-10)

Then enter AB-931 in 1999, and its many incarnations afterwards. Which mandated apprenticeship, training, certification and continuing edjucation, and registration of the Employees of C-10 licensed contractors by the DAS , who under the DIR enfor Labor laws. Thier Electrician certification program has been a rusty thorn ever since IMO! Slow, mis-directed, ineffective and agenda ridden. I guess I'll stop there.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason