You're not stirring the pot at all .... I suppose (considering how new solar is), I ought to make sure everyone knows what I'm talking about.

We all understand the conventional way to do solar .. a bunch of panels feeding an inverter, then there being some manner of tying the generated power into the main service of the house.

That's all now as obsolete as the Model A Ford. Micro-inverters are here.

"Micro-inverter" actually refers to an entire unit, of which the inverter is but a small part. Let me describe it ...

Each solar panel has, as part of it, a small inverter. The power is changed into AC right up there, at the panel. Usually, these panels are capable of generating only a few amps each.

The "output" wires of several such assemblies are connected together right at the array, and a single, small cable is run from the array to ANY panel in the house. These arrays are usually limited to a total of 20 amps.

When the cable reaches the panel - and it can be any electrical panel - it is simply landed on an ordinary, dedicated breaker. These breakers are often single-pole (120v) breakers. The generated power is backfed directly into the panel.

It's up to the PoCo meter to know when there's more power going 'out' than 'in,' and adjust accordingly. Under the original "net metering" laws, the meter simply ran backwards (with the limitation that the PoCo would never actually pay out if you made more than you used). When I left Nevada in 2009, this was the law there.

Safety? These assemblies are UL listed. They operate only if there is PoCo power present, Through some technical magic, somehow all the panels generate AC that is synchronized with each other, as well as the PoCo. These are among the conditions of the UL Listing.

That's ALL there is to it. Harry Homeowner simply need buy an assembly, run a wire, and land it in the panel. Period. That's why I say regulatory approaches are doomed to fail.