Well, as the news link I started with made clear, the reductions happened instantly, at the first hint of trouble.

There's a business lesson in this. What happens to you when the rules change in mid-stream? Or, worse, after the game is over?

Imagine .... what if you completed a job, and two years later the customer was able to walk into your bank and get the money back- AND keep the work?

That's exactly what's happening here. Systems were sold, based upon a fare structure that supported the sale. Now, years later, the rates change - turning a 'money maker' for the homeowner into an extra expense ..... an expense they can't eliminate. Any remaining construction loans still have to be paid off. Any service issues and warranties are up for grabs, as the vendor is now gone.

I could say "I told you so," but that would suggest that I'm happy with this outcome. I'm not. This sort of outrage is, alas, far too common these days. I don't think it can be avoided as long as we attempt to 'steer' economic choices with goals that are not economic themselves. Adam Smith's "invisible hand" can't work in handcuffs.