As for ways to get business. I don't know what type of electrician you are (resi/comm), but this is how I got started.

I went to a store that sells ceiling fans and got them to recommend me to install the fans they sold. I didn't have to even give them commission, just excellent service for their customers and an occasional free service call for a DIY'er that screwed up their own install. Installed these fans pretty cheap, but I was fast and could make $300-$500 a day doing it. I always told the customer that I was a licensed electrician and could do other work for them. About 50% of the time this lead to more work. Even back then I gave flat rate pricing and the customers liked knowing exactly what the cost was and I liked trying to see how fast I could get the work done. I also gave exact appointment times and was very flexible on times, even working late at night or on weekends if the customer needed that. I could go on, but my main points are:

Often small projects lead to big projects.
Give appointment times and stick to them or call.
Be flexible.
Consider flat rate pricing.
Check in to hooking up with a lighting company or other retail outlet that sells things to be installed, maybe Jacuzzis.

Also, marketing is tough and most don't work. Be carefull in this area or you'll go broke trying to get work.