Building a book of business takes time time time. My experience has been that its not what you know (or what your prices are..) but who you know.. who you know that can & will funnel business your way. The first few years are going to be really tough unless you are an extremely patient type who isn't rattled or daunted by "big mountains to climb" so to speak, or you are just lucky real quick. Good customers will lead to other good customers, but finding the good ones is the hard part that takes so much time. And in between there are lots of quickie one-time service calls etc.. In california homes have to undergo an inspection before they get sold and these inspections often uncover problems in all the systems in a house, often including the electrical systems. I try to cozy up to realtors, property management companies and other types of business that deal in houses and have a chronic need for electrical repairs. I try and make that my bread and butter. These are non technical types (paper pushers) who don't understand electricity or building codes, yet they bear the executive responsibility for the condition of the houses they have in their hands and they need "mechanics" to get in and remedy whatever problem is holding them up (or holding up escrow closing.. which means their paycheck is being held up too.. nothing better than a "motivated" agent). It certainly isn't the most glamorous of work- no complex industrial motor control or anything- most often is small simple little things, but I get a chance to get into a place and look it over for other problems in the house, which is like having a crack at your own personal closed bid job, because you are already on scene doing the work. I don't want to knock joe & josephine homeowner who need their kitchen remodelled- god knows that pays too, but I would search out and advertise among people at in businesses that deal with houses as their business. The real estate/prop-mgmgt community has been a good friend to me and repairs lead to recommendations and passing your card on to others who "wondered if you know any good electricians..". Most of the stuff I get is t&m too.. although it has made me get lazy and out of shape when it comes to good bidding- buts thats another story [Linked Image] Something I have found though is that realtors and other assorted paper pushing types have a real need for "connections" in the trades. They don't really understand the trades or what we do but they know they need em from time to time, and once they find a good tradesman of any kind they will pass your card around because, at least out here there are lots of RE agents who are all in the exact same boat. Hope the ideas help... [Linked Image]