Dave, thank you for the encouragement. One of the things that is discouraging is opening up the local swap paper and seeing a bunch of classifieds saying they do electrical work and they are "Cheapest in town" or something to that effect. It makes me wonder how much work is really out there and if the handymen are getting it because they work for peanuts and do all the other stuff like carpentry, etc... In my area, as we discussed once, their is no lic requirements (except for City of Pittsburgh) and my town I live in doesn't even issue permits. The only time an inspector is called out is for new construction and commercial. I am seeing that alot of slipshod workmanship went into wiring jobs around here because hardly anyone is held accountable. When I talk to potential customers I think I might be overpricing myself because doing things to code and not taking shortcuts costs more. I guess I will have them sign Release of Liability if I do a job and its not according to code. Is this what it will take to be competitive and get work, do shortcut work and take low payed jobs just to get work?

I saw an ad in local classified paper, "Electrician" "Nobody can beat my prices!" etc... I have to wonder, how does he know what I charge to be able to make that claim? Hopefully someone like that won't last long or will work his tail off a few times and find out he has just enough money to pay his materials. So having said that and seeing all those ads in the local papers I am starting to get the picture it might be a real rocky road trying to establish a viable business thats going to be around in 2 years. As for my wife, she works and is carrying the burden for us, and believe me this is a real point of contention at times but right now is going ok. She has said a few times I don't have a business yet and I told her I do have a business but no work.

Thanks for letting me vent...

[This message has been edited by JFLS41 (edited 04-15-2005).]