On this side of the pond, the standard "daylight" temperature that is used for NTSC television cameras is 5000K, while PAL cameras use 6500K. Fluorsecents can easily achieve either of these temperatures; not having much international experience in the studio, I can't say why they would choose to use Metal-Halide over Fluorescent, especially since they're more expensive and require some pretty fancy electronics to keep them regulated. They also emit quit a bit more UV radiation than fluorescents. But, I may infer that the Metal-Halide were used over quartz-halogen (that were used in the US) historically to get closter to the appropriate temperature for PAL cameras. I'm sure that modern European studios are using some fluorescents as well.

I do know that they use HID fresnels here for movie production (the really BIG fresnels, 3-4+ kW), and in many of the intelligent lighting fixtures, which use mechanical dowsers for dimming. They typically need color correction back towards the yellow/orange spectrum.

Metal-halide is often used for stadium and other outdoor large-area lighting here as well, probably because they can generate the required intensity to light a large area. I doubt very much that fluorescents would cut it in a stadium.

On a side note, I have 2700K CFL lamps, which are roughly equivalent (color temp-wise) to your standard incandescent. I also have a 6800K "reading lamp", which produces exteremely white light. The 6800 is nice for reading, but at times it seems as though text on the page is cutting through my retinas. The 2700's seem more "natural", like the incandescents we're used to.