Pauluk:
http://www.offshore-radio.de/JelleBoonstra/luxembourg.htm

This is a good site about RTL Radio Luxembourg.

I worked and lived in Luxembourg City for a while, and a few times we went up to the town of Echternach in the North of the country, not far from the German border. In fact, that's where I bought the nice old SABA radio I sent in the pictures about.

The road from the capital to Echternach goes past a really amazing set of masts. They include the old RL 208 AM ones, but I don't know if they are still there or not, as this is seven or eight years ago. There are no houses nearby, so power theft is probably not an issue -- it is mostly very atractive woodland out there, and it rather hilly with the masts near the top of the hills.

The web page also shows the rather odd and forbidding-looking RTL tower, which is in the middle of a park in the centre of Luxembourg City, very close to Sq. Winston Churchill and very near the bank where I worked at that time. It is surrounded with a dense thicket of pine trees, which are full of crows. The rest of the park has woodpeckers, which are facinating, but also lots of laurel bushes, which cause bad hayfever, so I didn't like going there much.

My Father used to listen to 208 because of the jazz (he is a musician) and said its pinnacle was in the 1950s/1960s.

I'm not sure what those transmitters are doing now, but not all of them are closed.

j