if you're in a good coverage area your mobile uses far less power to connect to the cell mast!
Maybe we need a campaign to educate people on this subject? How many times have you heard somebody going on about the radiation from the cell-tower, yet not say anything about the field from their own cellphone?

I'm sure you must have tried to explain the inverse-square law too. I've tried dozens of times, but I'm not sure whether I've always been understood or believed.

However, in the old days you had truely scary AM and VHF towers that broadcast using brute force technology i.e. just pumping in huge amounts of power from a single site.
Back in the early days of TV when the BBC was still broadcasting from the Alexandra Palace transmitter my family lived in a part of North London just up the road. That was before my time, but my parents assured me that they could get a viewable picture with nothing connected to the average set, and an absolutely perfect picture with just a couple of feet of wire hanging out the coax socket. That was Ch. 1,, so fairly low freqencies (~45MHz), but it still must have been a pretty high field strength.

I still remember the announcements from Radio Luxembourg when I used to listen in the early 1980s: "This is RTL Radio Luxembourg on 208 meters, 1440 kilohertz, broadcasting with one million three hundred thousand watts of power!" [Linked Image]

If you lived next door to their AM array I reckon that with suitably placed coils you could get enough free power to light your house! [Linked Image]

2) We're sorrounded by known carcenogens, yet we choose for whatever reasons to ignore them.
Yep, there is more than one variable in the equation, which makes objective comparisons that much more difficult. Even finding a suitable section of the population to use as the control is going to be tricky.

And living will lead to your eventual demise!
Hey nobody told me that when I started out on this adventure. I've been conned! It's not fair! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-28-2005).]