We were looking once at houses in Portugal to buy. The idea was to use it as a holiday home and to rent it out when we don't want to use it ourselves.

There was one in particular that was beautifully appointed and would have been superb, but for the power lines whose path swooped straight across the upstairs balcony! The lines looked as if they where close enough to touch, although there was a perfectly safe clearence -- it was the optical illusion of being right under them.

Not sure of the voltage: I would guess it was 150kV, but the line was buzzing like a hiveful of bees. The internet says there is an effect called Corona discharge that causes this noise.

Whatever the scientific evidence for the risks of electric and magnetic fields, I'd rather not risk being deprived of a good sleep because if it sounds as loud as that in the day, then at night it would be intolerable.

The only good thing would be that thing of standing under the lines with an old flourescent tube and playing 'light sabers', but I should think the novelty would probably wear off very quickly [Linked Image]