Dave raises a very interesting point here.
We are monitored here annually with various tests to make sure that nothing untoward is going on with our bodies.
I have to agree though, surely anyone that works that close to the lines, has to be a litmus test for everyone else.
However, this aspect of the power-lines vs. cancer has never even been mentioned.
Instead, the media tends to go for the more emotive side of the story.
One thing that a lot of people here in New Zealand seem to forget, is the fact that in a lot of places, the Asbestos pipes that fed water to thier houses are either still in the road or have only just been removed in the past few years.
It seems that people here only blame things that they can see. [Linked Image]
Another thing about using a Gauss meter is the rule of distance when it comes to radiation sources, I can't be sure, but I seem to remember that the field strength decreases by a multiple of 4(?) of any unit distance away from the source.
{Could someone please correct me if this is in-correct?}
Italy and one other European country have now legislated to segregrate HV transmission lines from residential land.
In my opinion, this whole problem has come about by urban sprawl, the power lines were more than likely there before any housing was.
To a degree, any councils and developers really need to bear some of the blame for the reason why houses are under the lines in the first place.
Would an earthed shield around the HV lines running over houses solve this problem ?
In a word, no, in fact it would cause more problems than what it would solve.
At 110 or 220kV, the Eddy currents flowing in the shield would be horrendous, not to mention the problem of Flash-over between the bare line and the shield.
The last thing you want near an HV or EHV line is an earthed conductor anyway, that's why they use insulators on pylons.