Guys, thanks ever so much for the positive and helpful feedback here. Since discovering ECN a few months ago I’ve found my self totally hooked. Not only have I found it fascinating reading and a great incite into wiring methods from all over, but a place of a true community spirit from a real diverse group. It’s fantastic!

Trying to bring all your points together into some kind of plan. As mentioned, I’ve just graduated, and money is very thin, so I am going to have to find “a job” regardless, most likely an IT support/technician role at the uni. I’ll give contacting local contractors and firms a go, see what feedback I get back from them. I wouldn’t mind unpaid work, so long as I get the experience!

Do any of you think it’s worth me enrolling for next year at Norwich College to sit the C&G 236 “Electrical Installations” part 1 course, Here ? They do an accelerated version, which basically covers the theory in a year, as opposed to two. At least with this I would have a foundation qualification as a start. Would it be of any use, or just a waste of time and money?

UKSparky – With regard to driving, I fall well below the minim requirement. I think I can read a number plate at about 5 meters, so you can see why they won’t let me drive [Linked Image] lol. Unfortunately I have three compound eye conditions that affect one another depending on many things. I have quite bad short sight, but also a rare condition called Nystagmus, which means my eyes “wobble” unless I look at objects from a certain angle. But I managed to get through uni, with some help, and have never found difficulty in crawling on duck boards hanging lamp battens, or crawling in machinery at my uncles factory fitting breakers and 3p motors etc.

I’ll be the first to admit I still have lots to learn, and wouldn’t suggest I know it all. But I think I am quite well clued and certainly have ability and the drive, passion and enthusiasm to make it. The geeky side of me probably shows all to much in this thread

Any advice any of you feel you can give would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks to all of you

Ash (LiveWireUK)

edited for my poor "spelin"

[This message has been edited by LiveWireUK (edited 10-15-2004).]