Hi Ash

Good post! [Linked Image]

To begin with, you have a good attitude; determination and a handle on what you now want to do. The trade is reasonably easy to approach if you have a positive outlook and the will to work. As the ol' saying goes; "Where there's a will, there's a way".

I would suggest that your visual issue has not grounded you thus far, and there is no reason why your determination to overcome that should ot continue. As Trumpy says, if you take that into consideration whilst you work then it won't pose a problem.

Plenty of people don't drive. Is this linked to the eyesight matter? Is it permanent - or you simply don't drive at the moment? Obviously, if you will never drive then you will have to approach things as a 'team player' with one or more who do.

That leads me onto the next step. The advice about approaching a reputable local electrician for advice is good. This is definitely the way to start I believe - there is no substitute for experience in the field however 'genned up' you are in the theory. Theory is obviously not a problem to you; you can pick this up doing day-release at a local college, or even coursework at home.

Troll through the yellow pages and ring around - sell yourself as the keen person you obviously are. Don't be afraid to try larger firms; such outfits often require people with your skills in addition to wire-tuggers!

The Institute of Electrical Engineers IEE is a useful place too; try a quick surf over to their site at www.iee.org and see what info you can find there.

Don't try to run before you can walk; if you keep a realistic set of goals in your sights you will succeed no doubt. There may be some disappointments, but then the lifeline will be thrown to you and away you go! I am not a routine supporter of going to college then expecting the world to fall at ones feet. I believe that this industry requires people to kick the world around a little whilst boning up - the practical experience makes the theory a damn sight easier to comprehend than vice-versa!!

Good luck my friend; and keep us posted. Oh - and don't be afraid to ask things here either!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!