Hi there Ash!,
Wow, what a story you have there.
If I were you, I'd look at your future as an Electrical worker in a more positive light.
At the young age of 23, you still have time in which to persue a career in Electrical work.
I know of a few Electricians here that have bad eyesight and even a few that are colour-blind, but on the other side of the coin, they have addressed the problem and take it into account while they are working.
I'm not sure what Paul and the other guys in the Non-US Forum here will say, but I would say, if this is really what you want to do, I'd personally say go for it!. [Linked Image]
I came into the Electrical Trade from being a Career Fire-fighter, so therefore, the skills aren't that difficult to learn, most of the work that an Electrician actually does is more practical stuff.
I'm sure you'd fly through the theory side no worries.
I'd have a word with a few local Electrician's (Reputable ones) and see what they think, you might even get a start with one of them, you never know, a guy that is proficient with computers would be a God-send to an Electrician that does a lot of Process Control, PLC, SLC and other Computer based controls, which are becoming increasingly prevalent these days. [Linked Image]

Mike:]