Ash,
It's a sad indictment on society when people like yourself have to run up debts like that to effect decent training.
What I think needs to happen over the next few years not only in the UK, but also over here in New Zealand, is that the stigma of "having a Trade" needs to be broken down.
They don't train Apprentices (at least Electrical ones) like they did 15 or 20 years ago anymore, as in kids aren't put on a broom for a couple of years and then at the end of their time have all the theory crammed into their heads.
Other side of the coin, a lot more is expected of an apprentice these days, as the skills required to be an Electrician, is assessed at regular intervals of the Apprenticeship.
However, at the end of the day, it all comes down to the schools and the parents in guiding kids toward a career and that should include actually asking the kid what it is they want to do.
Trades work isn't even considered by the majority of school-leavers these days here,
we've been trying to get 3 trainee Line- Mechanics at work, for the last 3 years, maybe next year. [Linked Image]
And also, I don't think that a lot of kids realise just what sort of money you can actually earn as a Tradesperson these days, a well clued up Electrician here makes just about the same amount as a Lawyer, sure the work is a bit harder physically, but the money is there to be made.
Ash, I'd call on you local sparkies, in person and find out if they are willing to take on an apprentice, ringing up never does any good, it shows that you lack motivation.
I scored 2 Apprenticeships at the local Power Company by showing up there one day looking for a job and I had no experience at all as an Electrical worker.
I wish you all the best!. [Linked Image]