Perhaps you could post some pics where it is done the right way so we have some idea?
I've just scanned through a load of photos and I seem to have plenty showing things done wrong and very few showing correct installations!

Anyway, here's a quick run through some more of the issues shown in the pics above.

Photo #3. The unused but still energized 3-ph disconnect. Metal-clad unit with two phases entering through one knockout and the third phase plus neutral entering through another. There are also no grommets or bushings installed to protect the cables. (Note that you can clearly see the double-insulation on the phase conductors in this picture though.)

Photo #4. Apart from the obvious broken lamp holder just hanging on the wires, that's one of our standard round junction boxes on the wall to the right, similar to these . The problem here is that the earth conductors have been brought outside the box for connection instead of being kept inside. It's a fairly common thing to see when somebody needed "just one more" terminal in the box.

I actually started opening up that particular box yesterday and found (a) that the earth conductors pretty much fell straight out of the terminal when I touched it, and (b) that the threads of the plastic screw-on lid where smashed up and it was only the earth conductors pulled over the top which were keeping the cover (loosely!) in place.

Photo #5. Apart from the obvious messy appearance, there's at least one cable which is clearly not properly clipped to the wall. "T&E" (Twin & Earth) can be surface run, but it should be secured properly. And to answer an earlier query about this picture, the black spot around the left-hand junction box turned out to be just a mixture of shadows and dirt. Note once again the earth wires terminated outside that box.

Photos #6 & 7. Cables not properly secured, and just plain messy. [Linked Image]

Photo #8. T&E is for fixed wiring and should not be wired into a 13A plug.

Photo #9. More unsecured cables, and although not really visible in the picture there's another "choc block" join just taped up hanging out of the trunking over the counter area.

Photo #10. Insecure cables again -- Looks as though they were just draped over the partition when it was erected.

Photos #11 & 12. Another fairly typical looking service and panel, except for the cable addition which I described above. This lash-up to keep all the rear lights working when the three units were knocked into one has also left an exceesive load on the remaining lighting circuit.

I didn't even bother to look into the remaining wiring that closely, but just from the couple of items I've come across so far in removing it, I've found spurs from a 30A ring feeding multiple outlets (not just two or three, but a half dozen or more), which is not permitted under our Regs.

In my 12/20/06 post:

Photo #1. LV cables are not supposed to share trunking with 240V power unless the LV cables are insulated to the higher voltage.

Photo #2. The outer sheath of the T&E should extend right into the switch box, not have the internal conductors showing as here. That 4-gang switch was mounted on a very shallow box (the 1/2-inch type), so with the number of cables entering it I doubt that whoever fitted it could get all the cables in there and still be able to fit the front on!

Photo #3. The good old "choc block" strikes again. CLick here to see the connectors in question. These can be used in proper enclosures, but there should not any such joins within the trunking as can be seen here.

Photo #4. Flex (standard "line cord") just connected to the xfmr primary with insulated crimps, no enclosure or anchorage. (I bet those crimps came from the rack of electrical parts at the other end of the store!)