34-year-old dies after electrocution FROM STAFF REPORTS
CHEBOYGAN - A Koehler Township man is dead after being electrocuted while working on his car. State police said Donald Melvin Wright, 34, was using an electric saw to cut the exhaust system off his vehicle Monday morning when a damaged cord made contact with the wet garage floor. Family members reported Wright missing after he failed to pick up his son from preschool Monday morning. Wright was found by his family and police at his home about 1 p.m. Officials attempted to revive the man with CPR, but he did not respond. Wright's death has been ruled accidental.
Which is why we require GFCI in garages and unfinished basements.
The OP seemed to imply his tools were being used in the finished portion of the house so there is a modicum of safety (floor made of an insulating material) but you will never hear me say a GFCI is a bad idea.
My understanding of the OSHA regulations is, if this is a homeowner using the drill in his own home, this is fine. If it is an employee using the drill during work time at the other person's home, the receptacle or cord needs GFCI protection. OSHA was formed to protect the employees, because studies showed that the employer was not.
If that is the OSHA rule it certainly not enforced. I know in new construction, as soon as the power hits the interior outlets the trades start using them. I don't see any GFCI cords. They are protected between the time they pull the tug/set meter and when the interior is finished because everyone is on the GFCI garage outlet.
Pierre, I sorted this out, the OSHA GFCI rule is 1926.404(b)(1)(ii) "Ground-fault circuit interrupters. All 120-volt, single-phase 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets on construction sites, which are not a part of the permanent wiring of the building or structure and which are in use by employees, shall have approved ground-fault circuit interrupters for personnel protection ..."
The operative words are "not part of the building wiring". Once they power up the receptacles in the house the trades can use them without GFCIs.
527.6 ... (A) Receptacle Outlets. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15-, 20-, and 30-ampere receptacle outlets that are not a part of the permanent wiring of the building or structure and that are in use by personnel shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel. If a receptacle(s) is installed or exists as part of the permanent wiring of the building or structure and is used for temporary electric power, ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided. For the purposes of this section, cord sets or devices incorporating listed ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel identified for portable use shall be permitted.
[This message has been edited by resqcapt19 (edited 01-27-2005).]