ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 5
Recent Posts
What do you do?
by gfretwell. 09/24/17 12:05 PM
75 kva tranformer
by sparkync. 09/23/17 06:41 PM
Another generator question
by gfretwell. 09/23/17 04:15 PM
Supporting conduit bodies
by ghost307. 09/18/17 12:12 PM
Thermal Imaging Camera upgrade
by Potseal. 09/18/17 11:57 AM
New in the Gallery:
Gallery Test
Popular Topics(Views)
240,946 Are you busy
176,740 Re: Forum
168,593 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 63 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#60428 - 01/02/06 05:36 PM Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
wendel  Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
I have a GFCI part I need to replace but it may now be obsolete. It was located in a 120 volt shower recessed light fixture. The GFI device is cylindrical, 3/4" in diameter, 2.5" long with cooling holes on one side. It plugs into the junction box knock-out of the recessed light fixture where it's wired into the light circuit. The leads are black, white and blue in color. I think this was installed around 1989 when the house was built. Can anyone tell me if these devices are still available and what their designation is. Thanks.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#60429 - 01/02/06 05:39 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
Electricmanscott  Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
Holden, MA USA
I have never heard of such an item as a GFCI part. It is most likely a thermal cutout sensor. You will need the name of the manufacturer of the fixture.

#60430 - 01/02/06 06:38 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
LK  Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,429
New Jersey

I notice occupation, is missing in your profile, It would be careless on our part to give advice on this issue, That device can be anything from a low voltage relay to an X10 type of device, if you are not sure what you have, it may be best to get an electrician to investigate.

#60431 - 01/02/06 09:37 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
electure  Offline

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,261
Fullerton, CA USA
LK is right. Without more information it would be foolhardy and irresponsible for us to give you an answer.
What leads you to believe this is a GFCI device? Is there a label?

#60432 - 01/02/06 09:45 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
gfretwell  Offline

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,118
If it doesn't have a test button it isn't a GFCI device. I am betting for low voltage relay.

Greg Fretwell

#60433 - 01/02/06 09:51 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
NORCAL  Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 873
Perhaps a thermal protector?

#60434 - 01/02/06 10:04 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
wendel  Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 55
Thank you for your help. I'm a mechanical engineer by education. I believe it's definitely a thermal protector device since all similar recessed lights are also equipted with this device. My GFI inclination was due to the light's location in the shower and the fact I have worked with recessed lighting that wasn't equipted with those safety devices. The device is malfunctioning and I'm going to replace it. Unfortunately there's no manufacturer's name, only various catalog numbers. I'm sure the local electrical supply house will be able to help me. Thank you again.

#60435 - 01/03/06 12:00 AM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
renosteinke  Offline
Cat Servant
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,316
Blue Collar Country
Why fuss over a cheap tin can? Just replace the whole blessed thing.

#60436 - 01/03/06 09:36 AM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
Electricmanscott  Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,457
Holden, MA USA
It is genneraly far easier to replace the thermal switch than to replace the can. Especially if it was a new construction can.

#60437 - 01/03/06 06:21 PM Re: Help to Indentfy GFCI Part  
wa2ise  Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 783
Oradell NJ USA
Sure you're not using a too high wattage light bulb in it? Or maybe there's too much insulation in the ceiling touching it and allowing it to get too hot.

If one will physically fit, a compact florescent bulb may be a solution. Less heat for the same light output.

Member Spotlight
Posts: 3,457
Joined: October 2000
Show All Member Profiles 

2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.020s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8082 MB (Peak: 0.9836 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-09-26 02:01:21 UTC