My neighbors water main froze last week somewhere between the house and street. (200 feet) To thaw the pipe a contractor connected the leads from his welder to the shutoff at the street and the main coming into the house. New one to me. Any thoughts?
The London Underground (two-thirds of which is actually open and at grade level) uses a similar principle of passing high-current low-voltage juice through the tracks to clear ice before trains start in the morning.
Have done that many times, isolate a conduit, hook welder leads at each end. Hook a air compressor on one end and stand back. When she blows you know you can pull out the bad and in with the new. I have also used tubing and steam. Force the tubing up the conduit with steam coming out and you can break up a small iced in area.Blow it out and pull in new wires
I have heard that before that electric fires have been started with welders and frozen pipes. There was an article in one of the magazines about it. Not sure if it was IAEI,EC&M, CEE, or EC. It is very common here in northern NJ to thaw pipes that way, the plumbers do it all the time. Can someone get a shock with this method?
had that done at my house about 5 years ago.i just called a welded to the house he hookup one end to the fireplug on the corner about 35 ft and the other end to my copper water pipe in my basement.now he did remove my water meter an put it back after.cost me 125.00 bucks,in fact he did 4 houses on my block that day.
that's the first time that i herd it can start a fire.anymore info on that.
Our city passed an ordinance prohibiting the use of welding equipment to thaw frozen underground pipes after a fire was caused by this method. To make matters worse the fire was not in the house with the frozen water line. The plumber hooked up the welding leads to a fire hydrant and to the water line in the house. There was a nonmetallic under ground fitting in this water line. The current went from the water line to the service neutral (via the grounding electrode conductor) into the second house via the grounded conductor and to the water line in the second house and then to the fire hydrant. The water pipe grounding electrode conductor in the second house was run directly on a floor joist and the excessive current produced enough heat to ignite this joist. Fortunately this fire was discovered early and there was only a small amount of damage. Don