While travelling interstate, the clock radio in one of the hotel rooms was inoperative. I simply assumed it to be turned off at the power point so went looking and found this behind the bed:
The bedside light shares the same plug! You can see two seperate lots of double insulated two core flex going into the one plug. In case you're wondering why the vacant socket wasn't made use of instead, there was apparently an electric blanket plugged into it in the past. It would surely not be compliant with any standard but despite the element of bodge, I have to say I can't really fault it from a safety point of view. The plug can easily accomodate a heavy three core flex and strain relief is by mouldings in the plug which clamp down when the cover is screwed shut. Anyone care to share interesting examples of hotel wiring?
Last edited by pauluk; 09/26/0809:33 AM. Reason: Image copied to ECN server
aussie240, When I first went out on Faults calls with the local Power Board, there was a very similar thing happened that caused a few problems. Young fella in the house had rigged up some lights in his aquarium. Long story short, every time the water pump gave out (it was under-sized for the tank size), it would meet the 230V lamp wires that had been paralleled up with his computer supply and would blow the circuit breaker, no earth either. 2 flexes into a lamp-holder, indeed. I told his mother to watch that boy, he'll kill himself.
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green