ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 270 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
While travelling interstate, the clock radio in one of the hotel rooms was inoperative. I simply assumed it to be turned off at the power point so went looking and found this behind the bed:

[Linked Image]

The bedside light shares the same plug! You can see two seperate lots of double insulated two core flex going into the one plug. In case you're wondering why the vacant socket wasn't made use of instead, there was apparently an electric blanket plugged into it in the past.
It would surely not be compliant with any standard but despite the element of bodge, I have to say I can't really fault it from a safety point of view. The plug can easily accomodate a heavy three core flex and strain relief is by mouldings in the plug which clamp down when the cover is screwed shut.
Anyone care to share interesting examples of hotel wiring?

Last edited by pauluk; 09/26/08 09:33 AM. Reason: Image copied to ECN server
S
Some hotels in europe that cater to americans will have dual-voltage outlets, where every receptacle has a 230V european and 120V american (50Hz) socket. Makes it convenient smile

I've yet to find a 60Hz appliance that won't work fine at 50Hz. I'm sure there are some clocks or whatever out there, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

T
I know that trick... the only arguments against it are a) listing violation and b) improper strain relief, at least that's what I heard.

Hotel wiring... the Greek hotel where I stayed in 2003 had mostly Schuko receptacles (as is the norm in Greece) but the bedside lamps were plugged into Swiss receptacles for some weird reason.

I
Maybe, so people would be less likely to steal the lamps?
I have seen a lot of hotels that hard wire the lamps, for the same reason, despite it being a code violation.

Last edited by IanR; 10/01/08 06:58 AM. Reason: I kant shpel dat wel
aussie240,
When I first went out on Faults calls with the local Power Board, there was a very similar thing happened that caused a few problems.
Young fella in the house had rigged up some lights in his aquarium.
Long story short, every time the water pump gave out (it was under-sized for the tank size), it would meet the 230V lamp wires that had been paralleled up with his computer supply and would blow the circuit breaker, no earth either.
2 flexes into a lamp-holder, indeed.
I told his mother to watch that boy, he'll kill himself.

Link Copied to Clipboard