Folks, In the course of my work a few weeks back I installed a Temporary Supply to a new place, as is part of my job,while I was doing this, I was asked by the owner of the house if I could advise him and his wife on how this place should be wired correctly, in that they wanted to wire the place themselves. This is a 2 storey place with rooms dedicated to different things, there will be an AV room, a Study, a Den, a Rumpus Room, as well as 5 bedrooms, a Master Bedroom + ensuite and a few other things. I was more than happy to over-see this installation, the guy is an accountant, I thought he had the logic and brain-power to do this. I drew out diagrams and went to show the guy at the site how I expected the cables to be run around the house. OK, I got a call today on my cellphone from the builder that said "You'd better come and look at this, it's not right". It took this guy and his wife 5 weeks to wire this place, the builders have been waiting to line the internal walls. I got there this afternoon and I nearly had another coronary. The cable he used is all of the wrong sizes, since when did I tell him that a free-standing Range will work off of 1.5mm2. Most of the cables within the framing are at 45 degrees through the studs/dwangs and pulled tight. He also bought the cheapest cable he could, I'm not even sure if it complies with our Cable Standards here. I have told him to tear the whole lot out and start again, I've never had to do this before, but this place was just a shocker. There is more, but I'm too wound up to post any further without using expletives.
Good on ya Matt. I'm heading out there tomorrow morning to have another look at the place, hopefully the old mucked up wiring has been taken out and we can start a fresh. The builders are furious as they are trying to get the place finished. I put a quote in of NZ$9500 to re-wire it correctly, damn it, it was accepted. So onwards and upwards I say. Even the Satellite wiring was mucked up.