Folks,
In the course of my work a few weeks back I installed a Temporary Supply to a new place, as is part of my job,while I was doing this, I was asked by the owner of the house if I could advise him and his wife on how this place should be wired correctly, in that they wanted to wire the place themselves.
This is a 2 storey place with rooms dedicated to different things, there will be an AV room, a Study, a Den, a Rumpus Room, as well as 5 bedrooms, a Master Bedroom + ensuite and a few other things.
I was more than happy to over-see this installation, the guy is an accountant, I thought he had the logic and brain-power to do this.
I drew out diagrams and went to show the guy at the site how I expected the cables to be run around the house.
OK, I got a call today on my cellphone from the builder that said "You'd better come and look at this, it's not right".
It took this guy and his wife 5 weeks to wire this place, the builders have been waiting to line the internal walls.
I got there this afternoon and I nearly had another coronary.
The cable he used is all of the wrong sizes, since when did I tell him that a free-standing Range will work off of 1.5mm2.
Most of the cables within the framing are at 45 degrees through the studs/dwangs and pulled tight.
He also bought the cheapest cable he could, I'm not even sure if it complies with our Cable Standards here.
I have told him to tear the whole lot out and start again, I've never had to do this before, but this place was just a shocker.
There is more, but I'm too wound up to post any further without using expletives.