ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 95 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
I am working on an Audiologist office, this is new construction. i believe that the patient examination area requires branch circuits to be wired per 517.13. Based on the installation requirements I plan to use Type AC cable that contains an insulated equipment grounding (bonding) conductor, marked as HFC- Health Care Facility Cable.

I'm stuck on the bonding requirements at the panel and the boxes where "hospital grade" receptacles will be installed on branch circuits. Is there a specific requirement for bonding to insure the redundant ground path is maintained? Are there specific cable clamps/connectors to be used with this cable?

Thanks for the help. Mike

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Is there a specific requirement for bonding to insure the redundant ground path is maintained? Are there specific cable clamps/connectors to be used with this cable?

You must follow the manufactures listing requirments for termination of the cable. With that said most of the time you don't have to do anything with the bond wire but to cut it off or wrap it back over the cable sheath.

As for special connectors, all you need are connectors that are listed for use with AC cable.

Chris

R
Along with Chris's post, the insulated EGC is the only conductor that will attach to the box and the device, the same as any installation.

Are the HG devices being used for an engineers specification? If these rooms are just exam rooms they will not need HG devices as far as the NEC or NFPA 99 is concerned.

Roger

T
It was my assumption that HG devices were required. However after re-reading 517.13B all it requires is that the grounding conductor be insulated and copper. I was likely also influenced by 517.16. Thanks Roger for the clarification. Anything else I'm missing?

Mike

R
Mike, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Roger

T
Thanks Roger - It's a great forum. I have been lurking for a while. Mike

Link Copied to Clipboard