ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 216 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#98979 07/06/06 04:33 PM
A
Uggghhhh MEN!! The outlet behind the door is the one used to plug in the vacuum cleaner. This is because all the other outlets are used or are located behind pieces of furniture. I have three bedrooms and the outlet behind the door is always accessible BECAUSE it is behind the door (nothing can be put there because the door wont open otherwise).

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98980 07/06/06 05:13 PM
A
Hey--what about that neon been sign on the wall! That's why you need a receptacle on those short wall sections behind doors!

Cliff

#98981 07/07/06 12:58 PM
E
Plug the vacuum into the receptacle outlet in the hallway if you have that much furniture. It is never a good idea to have an outlet behind the door, the operation of the door can damage the cord cap. We men never vacuum anyway. We clean with a snow shovel.

Earl
#98982 07/07/06 01:12 PM
M
Leaf Blower........

#98983 07/07/06 01:25 PM
I
It is never a good idea to have an outlet behind the door, the operation of the door can damage the cord cap.

Lets call it personal choice I would always want one behind the door. [Linked Image]

The door knob will need to punch a hole in the wall beore the cord cap gets damged.

IMO threre is more of chance that furniture aginst the wall will damge the cord cap.

But that is all just personal choice. [Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#98984 07/07/06 02:49 PM
W
The outlet behind the door is the one used to plug in the vacuum cleaner. This is because all the other outlets are used or are located behind pieces of furniture. I have three bedrooms and the outlet behind the door is always accessible BECAUSE it is behind the door (nothing can be put there because the door wont open otherwise).

Makes sense, maybe all those behind the door for the vacuum outlets should all share a dedicated circuit by themselves. You can only vacuum one room at a time, and it would be good to keep the sparky noisy vacuum cleaner motor away from the computers and TV sets. Place the outlet about 2 feet from the door hinges so you don't have to dig deeply behind the door.

I've had apartments where the apartment's subpanel was placed behind bedroom doors. So tennants couldn't place furnature or bookcases in front of them. So you'd have the required working space for them.

#98985 07/10/06 08:56 AM
E
Behind a door is an excellent choice for placing the panel.
I see your point on outlets behind the door. Maybe it is not so bad.
But, I still think one in the hallway would be a wiser choice. My reasoning is that those in the bedroom must be on an AFCI circuit, and therefore they will not be the best choice for some vacuum motors. Arcing and sparking in the motor causes nuisance tripping of the AFCI. Until the manufacturers come up with brushless motors for vacuum cleaners, IMHO, use the outlet in the hall.

Earl
#98986 07/10/06 10:09 AM
Cat Servant
Panels behind the doors... funny you should mention that...

Near me is a retirement home, where the building is as old as the residents, and has had as many face-lifts! As you might guess, wiring in this place is an unfathomable puzzle.

There were a few places where no one could find a way to shut off the power. And, there were a few places where there should have been power, but there seemed to be no way to energise those wires.

Then, one day, "Martha" left the home. A kindly older lady, she didn't like feeling "cooped up" in her room, and always had her door wide open. You can see where this tale is going..... sure enough, behind her door (which opened into the hall), there was a panel that no one knew was there! Martha had been at the home longer than any of the staff; with her door always open, none had ever seen the panel.

#98987 07/10/06 01:43 PM
G
Looking at my house and my daughter's house ...

There are several 2'-3' wall segments behind or between doors that have no recepts. I have never been in the position of wanting to use the recept that should be there.

I would expect that many AHJ would's accept ommissions on short walls or improper spacing as long as the total number of recepts is correct.

#98988 07/10/06 02:11 PM
I
There are several 2'-3' wall segments behind or between doors that have no recepts.

Don't know what year your house was built but a home built today is required to have receptacles on those walls regardless of the homeowner needing or wanting them.

I would expect that many AHJ would's accept ommissions on short walls or improper spacing as long as the total number of recepts is correct.

Only if they choose to ignore the job they are hired to do.

There is no 'number of receptacles required', the number required is dependent on the number of wall spaces greater than 24".

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard