ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sorry Don, I didn’t understand what you were talking about. EEI has been working on the concept that the Code doesn’t jump out of the wall. Therefore, the extension cords in 240 have been taken out of the Code and they will be covered by the product standard. I believe there are other places where that sort of thing is being pursued. [Linked Image]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis, Utility Power Guy

Charlie Eldridge, Indianapolis Utility Power Guy
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
Charlie: I was looking the other day at the 2005 article 240, and I understand what you are saying. Basically, there is a new section that clarifies the fact that listed cord cord sets and cords of listed appliances do not apply to the rules of the NEC. While I appreciate the clarification, I still question whether or not it is really neccassary. I mean, did the code ever govern what you plug into the outlet, such as cord sets? I read the change and really scratched my head.

BTW: I completley agree with Don regarding the vending machine (and article 422) issues...they have no business in the code.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Actually Ryan, the 2002 does cover cords where the 2005 has taken them out. This is especially true of the appliance cords. We have treated the appliance cords and extension cords in the same manner so there is no confusion (famous last words, right?).

(1) Supply Cord of Listed Appliance or Portable Lamps.
Where flexible cord or tinsel cord is approved for and used with a specific listed appliance or portable lamp, it shall be considered to be protected when applied within the appliance or portable lamp listing requirements.
(3) Extension Cord Sets. Flexible cord used in listed extension cord sets shall be considered to be protected when applied within the extension cord listing requirements.
(4) Field Assembled Extension Cord Sets. Flexible cord used in extension cords made with separately listed and installed components shall be permitted to be supplied by a branch circuit in accordance with the following:
20-ampere circuits — 16 AWG and larger

This is all intended to place the responsibility of protecting the cords on the listing agency and the product standards. Ad Don has already stated, it has no place in the Code. [Linked Image]

Annex A Product Safety Standards includes the following statement:

"This informational annex provides a list of product safety standards used for product listing where that listing is required by this Code."

Look at it and count the items that deal with products that are not installed!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
Joe,
Look at it and count the items that deal with products that are not installed!
That doesn't make it correct. Anything that is not "installed" is outside of the scope of the NEC.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Joe, you are letting your inspector side show. The annexes are not part of the NEC and not enforceable, they are in fact just informational. It will be nice if EEI gets their way and we can get all that superfluous stuff out of the Code. [Linked Image]

Don:

Exactly, I agree! "Anything that is not "installed" is outside of the scope of the NEC."

Charlie: I asked for a review of Annex A, not if it was enforceable!

I asked for a review of Annex A, not if it was enforceable!
And your point is? Are you telling me that I can’t make comments on enforceability because it wasn’t your idea and this is your thread? [Linked Image]

I now repeat, and remember that we are advised that an Annex is not enforcable, but Annex A seems to give some direction to those who have an interest in product safety standards. How does 110.3(B) fit here?

Annex A Product Safety Standards includes the following statement:

"This informational annex provides a list of product safety standards used for product listing where that listing is required by this Code."

[Linked Image]
Required? ..... [Linked Image]

I now repeat, “The annexes are not part of the NEC and not enforceable, they are in fact just informational.” [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard