ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98264 05/19/06 08:36 AM
R
Hey seems where ever we wire there`s different standards for sealing the holes.I`m being told now the wiring holes must be ansi #### fire rated red type fire stop.I is there a standard or something that will clarify this. The plumber used something else??I`m trying to save some dollars as the red is much more expensive.I also picked up all my little scrap copper.Man its getting unreal roll 14/2 255.00 yesterday.250` roll 12/2 106.00

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#98265 05/19/06 07:17 PM
Cat Servant
You are not "required" to use any particular method; you are required to maintain the integrity of the wall- that is, not make it less effective in blocking fire.

One may do this by simply using methods essentially the same as the original construction; for example, a hole in a brick wall can be patched with brick and mortar.

The 'red stuff' came about for two reasons:
The first was because the use of a flammable expanding foam resulted in a fire that darn near destroyed a nuclear reactor.
The second was because of the difficulty of telling a good patch from a bad one. For example, a wall with an inch of sheetrock needs for patches to also be an inch thick- not just a skim of plaster over a bit of tape. The red stuff is much easier to push into the opening, and (usually) expands to fill gaps when it gets hot.

Various fire-stop materials are rated by UL. Many of these listed products are little different from plaster or mortar. With any of them, it is essential that they be applied as the design specifies.
UL does publish a three-volume "Fire Resistance Directory." These designs are detailed there.

Link Copied to Clipboard