ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
Just a little note of explaining the reasoning behind the code, as it was explained to me, long ago.....

As we have absolutely no idea where Suzy Homemaker will place her furniture THIS week, the code assumes a receptacle can be needed almost anywhere; hence the spacing rule, which wants a receptacle to be in reach of a floor lamp (standard 6 ft cord) almost anywhere. Since Suzy only has a few lamps, and isn't drawing a whole lot of current, the code does not consider it necessary to limit the number of receptacles on a circuit (in a home). The more, the merrier, I guess.

Contrast this to the assumptions behind your typical office design. It is assumed that the cheap fools who lay out offices know what they are doing, and can be trusted to call for only the receptacles that they need. Since these are necessary receptacles, the code assigned a minimum load to each- in effect, limiting the number on any one circuit.

Code aside, I try very hard to place receptacles where they will be wanted (generally, I want them next to the sofa, and not behind it!), and size the circuits for a realistic guess as to the loads that will be applied.

Remember- from the outset, the code warns us against using the code as a design manual!
Rather- do your design, then check it against the code!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

L
So what you're saying is, I can measure any place on a floor, any where in the room, and it should be no more than 6' from a receptacle, OR, is it measured any where along the line at the bottom of the wall, even if you measure from one wall across a corner to another wall, should be no more than 6'?
Neither, if you meant "diagonal" when you said "across a corner". This is strictly along the wall/floor line, the perimeter of the room.

Any point along the wall must be within 6' of a receptacle. Going around inside or outside corners is okay, but not diagonally away from the wall.

I call it the "6-12-12-6" rule, and on kitchen counters, it's the "2-4-4-2" rule. The former applies to any wall space 2' or wider, and the latter to 1' or wider.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
E
e57 Offline
"the code does not consider it necessary to limit the number of receptacles on a circuit (in a home)." - However not keeping to common sense in limiting yourself, could set you up for some call backs.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
B
Ryan I thought you can only load a circuit to 80% and that works out to be 10.666.. recepticals which = 10,
Thats what I have been taught.Was any one else taught this.

Thanks John

I
Bossman you can load a circuit 100% if you want.

That changes if the loads are continuous loads.

Receptacles are not likely to fit the NEC definition of continuous load.

Continuous Load. A load where the maximum current is expected to continue for 3 hours or more.

Do you picture a multi outlet circuit to be loaded to 20 amps for 3 hours or more?

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
The code gave the outlets a 180va value so it is continous.

I
The code gave the outlets a 180va value so it is continous.

What code section do you believe tells us the 180 VA is continuous?

It is not, it is just a figure for calculations.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
B
Then why stop at 13 plugs put in a 100 if its only for calculations.
I dont have a book at home right now but I remember this in code classes in the past and thats the way I was taught, And I definetly could be wrong its happend before. Once! Ha Ha

John

B
iwire, I looked and had my code book here and found the hand book too and the example shows 13 outlets so now its 2 times wrong at this rate I may not trust myself anymore.
Theres nothing better then looking before you talk. I should wash my feet more.

John.

R
Bossman: It happens to the best of us. But look on the bright side...you aren't going to forget this rule now [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard