ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#97049 01/22/06 05:28 PM
Cat Servant
Even paranoids have enemies! :-)

I've been a firm believer in avoiding shared neutrals ever since Mr. Murphy came in one night, and cost me $350 in fried power supplies.
I will concede here that Mr. Murphy had some help, in that a) there were an awful lot of wires tied together under that wire nut (my fault for a poor re-making of that mess!) and b) someone had seen no reason to run his neutrals all the way to the panel (maybe an entire 8 feet away), and had combined them in the junction box.

So, yes, my concern is with poor connections, far more than harmonics. I've found cooked neutrals, but harmonics had nothing to do with it!

Another mess cost me $600 when I opened a neutral to add a receptacle to the circuit. Though I had taken pains to shut off my circuit, and power down ever appliance in the area....well, the wires were not twisted together under the nut, and a money changer in the next room was somehow tied in- along with another circuit. The money changer said "hello" to 220 volts, and died. Oops.

The heck with voltage testing....maybe we ought to start putting an amp clamp on neutrals as well.

So- even though I like the theory- I try to avoid sharing the neutral. Just making things a little more "Murphy resistant."

I conside neutral connections to be even more critical than hot-wire connections.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#97050 01/22/06 11:16 PM
L
Reno, you just pointed out a good reason for handle-tying multi-wire circuits' breaker handles. Plus that assures no overloading the neutral by same-phasing the hots.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#97051 01/23/06 03:41 AM
Folks, please bear with me as I am now going to rant a bit... [Linked Image]

Though I had taken pains to shut off my circuit, and power down ever appliance in the area....well, the wires were not twisted together under the nut, and a money changer in the next room was somehow tied in- along with another circuit. The money changer said "hello" to 220 volts, and died. Oops.
{bold emphasis mine}

Arrrggghhh! It is precisely this kind of thing happening which makes me so adamantly opposed to shared neutrals!! Here's a case of a qualified, experienced electrician taking all proper and reasonable steps and WHAM!!

Be realistic, in any environment, there WILL be others adding onto/changing wiring, moving breakers around, replacing receptacles and fixtures!!

It doesn't make a darn bit of difference how experienced one is, if you don't have x-ray vision or the ability to sniff out electrons there will always be the unexpected changes waiting to bite you in the tail!

Be honest, folks: how many of you turned off what you thought was the right circuit and got surprised because of backfeed, mislabeled disconnects/breakers, or accidentally opening a neutral you thought was dead?

and:

You can't buy a 3 phase 6 wire device, disconnect, panelboard, transformer, or service, I fail to see the point of running individual neutrals on branch circuits.

Apples and oranges....no one ever said that feeders, panelboards, transformers or services need to be set up with discrete neutrals. [Linked Image] We're talking branch circuits, which are subject to a lot more "unqualified" repairs or modifications.

I think the point will become quite clear when something bad happens to a circuit on your "watch". Again, not a reflection on anyone's workmanship, please do not take it as such. Just consider that it would only take a change in load factors (those pesky harmonics again [Linked Image] ), or even a simple lack of knowledge by someone attempting to add on to or repair something on that circuit.

I'll say it yet again, just because Code allows it doesn't make it safest or right. Code is and always will be a minimum standard.

finally:

Reno, you just pointed out a good reason for handle-tying multi-wire circuits' breaker handles. Plus that assures no overloading the neutral by same-phasing the hots.

Sounds like in this case even if the handles were tied, it wouldn't have helped. Reno's description implies that some questionable changes or taps were involved.

As others have noted in this thread, it all boils down to one's own experiences and/or biases on this issue.

Thanks for bearing with me, we now return to our regularly scheduled program.... [Linked Image]

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 01-23-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.
#97052 01/23/06 04:06 AM
E
e57 Offline
Oh.... Forgot to share a funny story....

I worked for a kinda family shop, (3 brothers) youngest of which was to take me out and show me the ropes...

During his long diatribe about "Always follow the neutral back to the buss bar so you know you're pulling the right... Doh.... Go inside and see if I blew any thing up!" I go inside and the horrorfied customer is sitting in front of her smoking monitor. That wasn't funny, but that guy explaining it to his brother was...

Anyway, things happen... And it is common sense to shut adjacent circuits in any box off when messing with neutrals. Go as far to have customers up-plug computer or other equipment while you are doing so. Best thing to do is put an amp clamp on any neutral if it has a remote possibility of being shared. That is still not a guarantee, but does help you to say no if it does have any current.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#97053 01/23/06 08:28 AM
D
I have never found a "smoked" nuetral in my travels yet, But, I have come across nuetral wire that brittle.
Touch them and the insulation starts to peel off. I've seen nuetrals loose at the bar alot.

This looseness, I have attributed to 2 possibilities. One, a bad installation. Two, the wires are getting hot and cooling, and the screws are backing out somehow.

But I don't know if the second is fact.

Anyone seen this happen?

Dnk....

#97054 01/23/06 09:42 AM
T
If I turn a circuit off and it runs into a conduit (in the distribution panel)with five ungrounded conductors and three grounded conductors, I cut the power to all the ungrounded conductors.

Dave

#97055 05/01/06 05:53 PM
Due to the AFCI thread, I hereby go:

Bumpa-bumpa!! [Linked Image]

Stupid should be painful.
#97056 05/02/06 03:10 PM
D
Dave,
"If I turn a circuit off and it runs into a conduit (in the distribution panel)with five ungrounded conductors and three grounded conductors, I cut the power to all the ungrounded conductors."

Good practice, and it still doesn't guarantee you won't have a problem. I've seen many cases where more than one conduit leaving panel went into same jbox.

One of the reasons I am strong advocate for identifying every gounded conductor in every jbox, panel, or anyplace it can be seen.

#97057 05/02/06 10:16 PM
Broom Pusher and
Thanks to mxslick for bumping this thread back to life [Linked Image]

Wanted to make a short reply to it back in January, but somehow forgot to (like being busy is any excuse [Linked Image]...)

Anyhow, I'll make this short and sweet - if possible [Linked Image]

First off, let me point out that there are a lot of valid posts made in this thread already! My contributing 2ยข is kind of meaningless, but I felt the urge to chime in and act cool!

Secondly - and most importantly why I am writing this whole thing in the first place!;
To the original poster ("OP") sparkync,
did any of this thread assist with your installation questions???

Pretty much, the installation part is mainly up to you - as to the choice of using Multi Wire Branch Circuits, or going with an array of Two Wire Branch Circuits... with the following exceptions:

1) Are there any Specifications within Contract Documents, that exclude using Multiwire Circuitry for given equipment? - and I must exclude the typical "Boilerplate" stuff that firms toss into Contract Documents, including "Basics" in the beginning of Division 16 of the Project Manual, or Text Blocks found in the "General Notes" page of the Planset.

What I am referring to would be exclusive pages within Division 16 of the Job Manual, which cover specifics for given equipment.

2) Does the Manufacturer(s) of given equipment demand their equipment to be connected only to "Dedicated 2 Wire Circuitry", in order to hold any warrantee?
This would be an issue for you in the event of ANY failure - the first thing they will do is pin the failure on the Circuitry, and boast this to your Client.

3) Was the project bid (proposed) to use 2 Wire Circuits for the specific loads (equipment)? If yes, than you should do as bid.

Other than this, there really is no valid reasoning either way. It's a matter of choice.

The NEC has no say in the types of circuits you _CAN_ or _SHOULD_ use for this equipment, it only mentions how to safely install oversized Common Grounded Conductors (Neutrals). This is, once again, a Design Issue, not a Safety Issue.

If you decide to use Multiwire Circuitry, feel free to keep the Common Grounded Conductor the same size as the Ungrounded Conductors, or if you feel it is needed, increase its size.
If you go the 2 Wire Circuitry route, be sure to take into consideration the fact that each 2 wire circuit will have 2 current carrying conductors; so when running multiple circuits through a single common raceway / conduit, derating the conductors will apply "faster" than with multiwire circuitry.

If you have concerns regarding excessive load current on the Common Neutral, try to limit the _Possible Loads_ to no more than 50% of the circuit's value.

Since these loads are what I would classify as "Intermittent" loads, not "Continuous" loads, if any equipment does have a real dirty level of distortion ( > 33% THD "across the board" ), it likely will only be at its peak for maybe 15 minutes of each hour - maybe 30 minutes of each hour - so there will be at least 50% of the nominal time period where the load draw is very low, thus allowing the conductors to cool down.

Lastly, in regards to this whole Harmonics / Common Conductor shared subject;

I was a victim of closed minded thoughts when it came to loads which produced harmonic distortion, and thought at first that the problem was bigger than it really is.

But think about it...
*** Viewing it as the culprit will be _Switch Mode Power Supplies_:

The Workstation PC does not draw the rated capacity _Continuously_, only in transient peaks. Most of the time, the SMPS is maybe running 20% above Idle.
So, having a Workstation with a THD of 40% being found in the 3rd, 9th, 27th and 81st Harmonic doing typical Workstation duty, how long will these high levels of current be flowing between the load equipment and the Secondary of the Transformer?

Same goes for Printers (LAN Printers, Local Printers and Print Server Stations), Copiers and Fax Machines - total peak load draw is not continuous.

File Servers may have a more continuous load draw, yet do they draw for 3 hours or more?

Intranet Servers may fall into this class - and should be figured as such when designing circuitry.

***Viewing it as the culprit will be _Lighting_:

Think back to the "Harmonics From Hell Scare" of the late 1980's; what was going on then?

This was the invent and introduction of Hybrid Component Ballastry.
Most likely, the "Primary Scare" was something _Coupled_ to the usage of these types of Ballasts.

To me it sounds like just another misquoted report or statement, which first began a frenzy of panic, then was taken advantage of by manufacturers of equipment and materials.

What I believe the scenario(or scenarios) were about was Lighting Circuits which were loaded to maximum (like 20 amp circuits loaded to 18 - 19 amps), and running for entire days - even weeks, using #12 conductors for multiwire circuitry, fed through raceways with 3 or even 4 additional multiwire circuits running through them, and were feeding Lighting Equipment with the new technology Ballastry that produced "higher than ever seen before" Harmonic Distortion back into the circuitry and the system.

I say this because of the numerous installs we had encountered during Tenant Improvement work, where these Lighting scenarios had been installed as described above.

It is not "News" that Magnetic Reactor type Ballastry produces Harmonic Distortion - sometimes in the order of as high as 20% THD, as do Induction Motors and other Reactive loads, so the issue of Harmonic Distortion has always been there in the Commercial / Industrial world.

To wrap this fricken miniseries of a post up [Linked Image]

I still will use - and even design projects, with the concepts of utilizing 4 Wire Multiwire Circuitry wherever possible (on projects with 4 wire wye secondaries!).

If a Client feels the need to have 2 wire circuits used, I will do the normal thing and explain (as much as possible) the reasoning, ideas, myths, urban legends, pros and cons for each type of circuit (if there is a chance to do so!!!).

It is also my part to be sure the crews doing the installations do not screw up Multiwire circuitry, or any circuitry what so ever!
Sometimes it is not so easy for me to do so, as I may design a project and merely have the "fun" of playing Project Manager on it "Vicariously" (only see the job 1 or 2 days a month), but most of the jobs designed by me will also be run by me.

As to how many barbecued items I have witnessed, which were caused by Multiwire Circuitry faults or excessive Harmonic Distortion, only a handful in over 26 years.

Saw a barbecued common neutral in a Panelboard at the Bus Termination. That one turned out to be a combination of a loose screw on the Bus and some joker had 6 Lighting Circuits across the common.
Took for ever to T Shoot that one!!! (it was on a project where the EC had high turn-over employees coming and going, so things were really messed up!).

Another one which comes to mind involved fried equipment in a newly developed Commercial "Office/Warehouse" shell project, back in 1989, - where there are multiple buildings and all suites are simple shells.

This one Tenant had a Copier, Fax Machine and 2 PCs go all Smoky on him - and of course, the Property Manager calls ranting about "Fire Trucks, Flames Leaping From Buildings" and similar chaos.

I was working for an EC that just loved to smoke Pot - endlessly! At least a 1/4 Ounce every dang day!
On top of this, during the time of the french fried equipment, he decided that smoking pot wasn't quite enough - that it would also be great to smoke speed too!

Now, he wasn't the easiest to talk with when sober, so just add some pot and speed, shake well [Linked Image], and you have a raging jackass!!!

Insisting that the barbecue was my fault - due to "Not Giving A Damn About Good Makeup On Neutrals", he had the entire crew open every single outlet, J. Box and etc. to verify connections.

All terminations were 100%.

I was at the Panelboard and did a "Short Circuit Test" with my screwdriver - between the Grounded Conductors Bus and the Panelboard Enclosure.
With a few minor sparks popping off from the semi conductive path, all the sudden the lighting becomes stable and bright!

Tell "Mr. Jack-Pot" that I suspect either a fault from the Utility Transformer (lost Neutral), or more likely, someone forgot to install the Jumper Bus Bars between Gear sections.

After Jack-Pot argues this and messes with other stuff for 2 hours, I go to the switchgear, open it up, and find loose carriage bolts on the last 4 meter section.

A good heads up, plus one additional rant for me!

Scott35

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#97058 05/03/06 01:09 PM
M
Think about this for a moment. Running dedicated neutrals will increase the probability of making a faulty connection by two thirds. You may never ever make a loose connection, but by the simple numbers of it, you are increasing your odds by a factor of 2/3.Therefore it can also argued that running dedicated circuits rather than mwbc is a less preferable method.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard