ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 394 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
A closet with a panel WILL be filled with junk

Just be glad that modern panels have doors on them to protect the breaker handles from broom sticks and whatnot.... (I assume the doors will get closed, otherwise the doors get in the way of the junk being stored)....

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
e57 Offline
"Doesn't a electrical room have fire rated doors and walls? " Not nessesarily.... Depends on what boarders the room.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Y
This ones Easy
Cloths closet you hang cloths in (pants shirts sweaters ect)
Electrical room you put Electrical in (Panels, Starters , swiches, Transformers ect) NEXT

S
leave the politics out of it

I agree with that. I have a real passion for politics but the electrical board is not the place I choose to discuss it. Not even a little bit. This is also why I don't reply to the thanks the troops type threads either - I used to be one of them!

E
As the local Fire AHJ plan checker, I always red-line panels in residential closets. I don't ask whether they'll have clothes, I just require that the panel be moved. If they question it, my response is: "The next time a city employee sees this after final is when the fire engine crew is here at 3:00 A.M., so let's design it in a safe manner for the resident 20 years from now who doesn't know it's not for clothes."
Our Senior Electrical Inspector is on the same page that I am.

S
So, are you saying that, in your jurisdiction, electrical rooms are completely prohibited in residential property?

E
Solar-Powered,
Re: "So, are you saying that, in your jurisdiction, electrical rooms are completely prohibited in residential property?"
Occasionally, we do see an electrical room or closet that we will allow, but it is either accessed from the exterior, or it is a dedicated room for electrical, or elec. and mechanical, that really provides no space for other storage.
The basic question we ask ourselves is: Is the homeowner LIKELY to use it as a clothes closet? If it's within the residence, most of the time, "yes" is the answer.

G
I like the idea posted above that if there is a rod or provisions for a rod it is a clothes closet. The electrical "closet" in my house is only 12" deep so I will argue it is not suitable to store clothes.

Greg Fretwell
W
The electrical "closet" in my house is only 12" deep so I will argue it is not suitable to store clothes.

Isn't there a rule saying that there has to be 3 feet of working space in fron of the panel? Also 3 foot sideways. And that having the door open doesn't count? If so, then the closet would be at least 3 foot by 3 foot, which makes a very inviting space for a homeowner to store colthes or other stuff....

G
As long as the door opens out of the way and is greater than 30" wide by 80" high, how does 110.26 say you don't have working space?

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard