ECN Forum
Electrical panels are prohibited in clothes closets. In commercial construction, it is very common to have panels located in an "Electrical Room." Presumably, one can also have an Electrical Room in a residence, even if it's rarely done because home builders will find a cheaper way to do it. Other than the obvious difference that a closet has shelves and clothes bars, how does an AHJ who is reviewing residential plans for permits distinguish between an electrical room and a closet with a panel? Is it just the label on the plans, or is there more to it than this?
It come down to what it is designated on the plans.

How come you can turn an Elec Rm into a closet (fill it full of junk)but not a closet into an Elec Rm.
Because you don't need a permit to install junk?

steve
Doesn't a electrical room have fire rated doors and walls? I know the closet in my house doesn't.
I write "not a clothes closet" on the plans for any closet that a panel or subpanel may be placed in.
A closet with a panel WILL be filled with junk. An electrical room that can only be used for electrical is only deep enough for the panel.
Residential inspectors know this, but they cannot really enforce the clear space rules. It is a Bill of Rights right to protection from unreasonable search by any governmental agency, which includes the local building official.

Until George W. Bush takes away all our rights to privacy, there will be junk stored in front of electrical panels. [Linked Image]
A young boy once asked a game warden "When do Deer become Elk?" His answer was "The first day of Deer season."

So when does an electric room become a clothes closet? As soon as the inspector leaves...
GWB knows whats in my closet?
Earlydean, leave the politics out of it.

Voice your political views else where pls.

It get's old...........

Dnk......
In this area the determination seems to be the plans, and if there is a rod for hangers.

Dave
A closet with a panel WILL be filled with junk

Just be glad that modern panels have doors on them to protect the breaker handles from broom sticks and whatnot.... (I assume the doors will get closed, otherwise the doors get in the way of the junk being stored)....
"Doesn't a electrical room have fire rated doors and walls? " Not nessesarily.... Depends on what boarders the room.
This ones Easy
Cloths closet you hang cloths in (pants shirts sweaters ect)
Electrical room you put Electrical in (Panels, Starters , swiches, Transformers ect) NEXT
leave the politics out of it

I agree with that. I have a real passion for politics but the electrical board is not the place I choose to discuss it. Not even a little bit. This is also why I don't reply to the thanks the troops type threads either - I used to be one of them!
As the local Fire AHJ plan checker, I always red-line panels in residential closets. I don't ask whether they'll have clothes, I just require that the panel be moved. If they question it, my response is: "The next time a city employee sees this after final is when the fire engine crew is here at 3:00 A.M., so let's design it in a safe manner for the resident 20 years from now who doesn't know it's not for clothes."
Our Senior Electrical Inspector is on the same page that I am.
So, are you saying that, in your jurisdiction, electrical rooms are completely prohibited in residential property?
Solar-Powered,
Re: "So, are you saying that, in your jurisdiction, electrical rooms are completely prohibited in residential property?"
Occasionally, we do see an electrical room or closet that we will allow, but it is either accessed from the exterior, or it is a dedicated room for electrical, or elec. and mechanical, that really provides no space for other storage.
The basic question we ask ourselves is: Is the homeowner LIKELY to use it as a clothes closet? If it's within the residence, most of the time, "yes" is the answer.
I like the idea posted above that if there is a rod or provisions for a rod it is a clothes closet. The electrical "closet" in my house is only 12" deep so I will argue it is not suitable to store clothes.
The electrical "closet" in my house is only 12" deep so I will argue it is not suitable to store clothes.

Isn't there a rule saying that there has to be 3 feet of working space in fron of the panel? Also 3 foot sideways. And that having the door open doesn't count? If so, then the closet would be at least 3 foot by 3 foot, which makes a very inviting space for a homeowner to store colthes or other stuff....
As long as the door opens out of the way and is greater than 30" wide by 80" high, how does 110.26 say you don't have working space?
I thought that the 3ft clear zone req. only applied to commercial/industrial?
If you have an existing house with a panel in a "closet", what if you made them enclose the electrical panel inside of another "closet"? This way if there are sparks from the panel, the "smaller closet" around the panel will catch the sparks from falling onth "junk". Another way to look at it might be, having an electrical closet within a closet. Wouldn't that be safer? (Just a thought.)
If you have an existing house with a panel in a "closet", what if you made them enclose the electrical panel inside of another "closet"? This way if there are sparks from the panel, the "smaller closet" around the panel will catch the sparks from falling onth "junk". Another way to look at it might be, having an electrical closet within a closet. Wouldn't that be safer? (Just a thought.)
I dont see how an extra door would help with the work space in front of a panel. As a practical matter I would not be able to ask a homeowner to clear out a closet just to do testing. Working in cramped or cluttered conditions just raises the likelihood of an injury causing mistake.
--
Tom Horne
© ECN Electrical Forums