ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 536 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
30 mA is also the standard level for equipment GF protection on this side of the pond mate. The GFI protection enhances the breaker by sensing current leakages to ground in NM-B as well as ground faults caused by the heat generated by glowing contacts.

I like the idea of the alarm contact. We'll have to talk about your royalties. [Linked Image]

R
Brendan,
All commercially available AFCI's also have equipment level GFI protection inherent in the design. This would explain why the GFI tester trips the breaker. I am not familiar with the specs of these testers, but our sensitivity level, is 30 mA.
I would expect that these testers provide a ground fault load that only slightly exceeds the maximum 6 mA trip point for a Class A GFCI device. I know that the internal resistor in a GFCI receptacle creates a 8 mA fault to test the device. Would there be any other reason that these testers would trip the AFCI?
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
R
I have always put smoke detectors on a separate circuit. I have also put in audible alarm on the system, in case the breaker trips. Never had a problem, either way. The reason I put the audible trip alarm on, is at the request of the home owner. I think and I feel comfortable with putting them on a dedicated circuit. Think about, the battery backup, the smoke detectors will chirp and the home owner will call (hopefully an Electrician) or find out why they are chirping/making noise. Granted, they are chirping and the batteries still work, until changed or power restored.

S
The GFI protection enhances the breaker by sensing current leakages to ground in NM-B as well as ground faults caused by the heat generated by glowing contacts.

Brendan,
wouldn't this need to be reworded to
'your glowing contacts will continue to glow , until it goes to ground'?

C
RockyJo, are you implying that the smoke detectors will chirp if they loose their primary building power? If so that is not the case with any of the detectors I have used. They will chirp if the battery is missing or low but they only way to know that the primary power source is off is to look for the indicator light inside the detector.

Curt Swartz
B
Sparky, you could add that the glowing contact would continue until it caused a ground fault, but I do not think that my reply implied otherwise. But to be fair, you would also need to add that with a standard breaker or fuse that the glowing contact would continue until the home caught fire.

Don, the ony thing I see causing the trip is the ground current.

S
Brendan;
to be 'fair' it should not be refered to as an arc-fault, as it will not universely do as the name implies.
Clarity in marketing as a contractor is condusive to good buisness and customer relations.
Note the LCDI here, a far better description.

440.65 Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).
Single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners shall be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection. The LCDI or AFCI protection shall be an integral part of the attachment plug or be located in the power supply cord within 300 mm (12 in.) of the attachment plug.
[Linked Image from ezboard.com]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 05-10-2002).]

S

Arcing
The effect generated when electrical current bridges the air gap between two conductors that are not touching.

From the Cutler-Hammer Training Page

S
NFPA Proposal/Comment On-line Submission Confirmation
Submitter: Steve Mancuso
Chester Electric inc
1181 Roach Road
Chester, VT 05143
USA
E-mail: electric@vermontel.net
Representing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROP/ROC Option: Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prop. or Comm.: Proposal
Document Number: 70
Date Submitted: 5/14/2002
Section/Paragraph: 210.12(A)
Change Recommends: Revised Text
Original Material: No
Reference as:

Recommendation: Clarify the definition as to the specific 'arcing' that the device will address, re; parrallel, series, or both.

(A) Definition. An arc-fault circuit interrupter is a device intended to provide protection from the effects of arc faults by recognizing characteristics unique to arcing and by functioning to de-energize the circuit when an arc fault is detected.

Substantiation: AFCI's will not trip on a 'series' arc, only a 'parralel' arc. The public, installers , ect, may be misled due to an inacurate definition.

H
What about a smoke detector that has a built in non replaceable rechargeable battery that will power the smoke detectors for about 30 days and recharge after a power failure and have the home owner replace the unit when the battery alarm goes off? at least this will take care the problem of home owners removing the batteries.

[This message has been edited by hurk27 (edited 05-16-2002).]

Be Fair, Be Safe
Just don't be Fairly Safe
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard