ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
hotline

I have no idea what the authors of that section of the building code are thinking.

Remember the intent of the building code as well as the nec. MINIMUM standards for safety.

Anything beyond the letter of the code should be in writing by the local AHJ and approved by the city council or at least "memo" form on official letterhead by the chief building official. And then available to all interested parties to view.

I know this doesn't happen in the real world and many local ammendments are just word of mouth.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
I noticed some said they can't check a house with-out power to get a final. Try hooking a Portable Gen to it. Its quick and easy, and when you leave the job you kknow you will not have to return.

Rob

S
I don't know about Chicago Joe, but nearby, in my opinion, what's on the plans must be installed. Approved plans are a contractual document. In a previous thread on the same topic, I asked the question how an inspector knows a circuit is wired correctly to a lighting outlet without a light being installed, and without having the electrician go to each box with a tester because that would take too much time. I don't remember getting an answer. The light may technically not have to be installed, but the electrician does have to prove it is wired correctly if the AHJ requires so. Oh yeah, I do check every hard wired appliance connection, and I find that 20 to 30% are miswired in some fashion. And not always by the crappy contractors. Plug in appliances do not need to be in as long as the recept is wired properly.

It should be noted to developers and GC's that they must inform new tenants that any additional modifications to the electrical system will require an additional permit and inspection(s).

I had a tenant buy a unit as is, hired a large orange hardware store install the cabinets and found electrical boxes buried and new ones installed to accommodate the layout. A brand new unit and already buried J-boxes. What a shame. No offense to anybody, I have inspected work of contractors that I would hire to wire my own house and who have taught me a lot, but they make mistakes too and learn some stuff from me too. When you inspect hundreds of different peoples work, you learn so much more than dealing with just your own work. No matter how good anyone is, a second set of eyes never hurt anyone, but the work does have to be completed to assure it is right. I tend to side with Joe here, but the part that is lacking that many of you have mentioned is the municipality putting their policies in writing and doing thorough plan reviews, which includes careful reading of the notes.

OK; natural light is a west coast thing...but it does get dark there at night; did last time I was in Ca. (SF to Tijuana)

Here in NJ, the NEC is adopted as the Electrical Sub-Code for the State Uniform Construction Code; with some amendments. (No AFCI; enforcement, etc) There are NO local amendments that I am aware of.
Enforcement is within the UCC laws, and yes, we have an energy code within the UCC.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean...are you saying all you need is a luminaire in the kitchen, and the rest of the resi is 'natural light'??? That would not happen here.

John

[This message has been edited by HotLine1 (edited 08-04-2005).]

John
W
Joe I agree with you about having everything in place upon final, only way you the inspector knows it is correct. In Michigan the Plumbing Inspector will not sign off until the electric water heater is wired and energized, so they can easily see that it is plumbed correctly. So should be the rest of the house as applied to the different codes such as return air to the furnace hooked up correctly. The problem comes usually with the homeowner running low on money at the end and holds off on dishwasher, instead of over range micro just a range vent then for the bedroom ceiling fan and light just put up a keyless for now and the homeowner will replace in a few years. Then here is another thing that hasn't been mentioned some inspectors do not becomed paid until final is done and occupancy permit is given, could make the boat payment this month.

William Runkle
H
Gentleman,

Let's not let this thread get out of hand. I love this board because we are above those other flamming boards where every one picks on every one else.
The point here is that when you give a final inspection, YES, everything should be in place. We also know that in some towns, (sometimes through political pressure) we have to give a temporary Certificate of Occupency. (TCO)
As an AHJ, I would do my very best to make sure that a home is safe for people to move into. Yet, if they don't have all of their fancy light fixtures and they have to move out of their old house, well they can install keyless light fixtures in place of their new $5,000 light fixture. Many times people will want to move into a home and they don'y have the money to install the HVAC system. No problem! You can close out the existing permit, BUT you have to open a new permit for the HVAC! This way it gives me the right to go back into the house and make sure that the HVAC IF/When it is installed I make sure that it is installed properly. Same goes for outside lights. You might not have all of your fancy scones lights around the outside of your house, just install a $15 contractor special "jelly" Jar light fixture. This way there is light by each door and the people in the house can see to get into and out of. I will not allow any open wires exposed in the house that is way to dangerous. All wires will have to be "Safed off" for a TCO inspection.

S
Hotline
Sorry about the delay.
If we did not have our energy standards, then the building code currently in effect just requires natural light.
I can't stress enough to check for yourself in your local building code.
The NEC just requires an outlet.

We all need to get back to just what the locally adopted codes require. No More, No Less.

There are inspectors out there asking for things that are not in any code, but either they think they are, they were told to, or they just make stuff up because they think it is a good idea.
Electricains either believe them, or just want to pass even though they know it's wrong.

Larry LeVoir
Inspector
City of Irvine, CA
Sandsnow:
Thanks for the reply, and yes, we used to hae the "my way" guys, but that is coming to be the past.

Not to beat a dead horse, maybe I just don't get what you're saying; it's been a long 12 days, but what's with the "only natural light" thing?????

John

PS: My e-mail is in my profile if you care to do it off this board.

John
L
I am a little confused on the appliances being in place. Builders around here do not supply the appliances and can't sell a house without the final. Do you suggest we buy appliances to put in for the final and then take them out so the new owner can get what they want? If I want a gas stove I do not get a final unless I install an electric stove and then remove it after final? Some houses never get an electric stove or dryer, does this mean they never get final electrical? Please clear this up for me. Thanks Rod
BTW Around here we can get a meter release to have power on for final.I have enjoyed reading the different views and see we are all concerned with the safety of the customers.

G
I think they are really talking about the things that are screwed down. I know that is always the last thing they install around here since they tend to walk away in spite of being fastened in place.
A few years ago there was a rash of "walking" A/C condensers. You couldn't seem to keep one on the side of a house.
I would certainly agree things like the fridge, washer and dryer should not be required for a CO since the customer may want their own in there. Builders usually just have a couple models available and buyers of McMansions usually want something $pecial.

Greg Fretwell
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard