ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 166 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#93712 06/09/05 09:20 PM
W
Now if this place was "off campus housing" for college students, chances are that one of the students would fit a bed in that walk-in closet (assuming a bed would in fact fit flat in there). Most college students hate having to share a sleeping room; a separate (no matter how small and crampt) sleeping room is still highly prized. Doesn't matter if there's no window; the ability to shut the door to keep noise and light out is all that's wanted. So yes it should get an AFCI.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

#93713 06/09/05 10:36 PM
G
This fight has been going on since the first AFCI rule showed up in 99 and it will probably go on until AFCI is the standard in all dwelling circuits.

Greg Fretwell
#93714 06/12/05 08:23 AM
I
wa2ise
Now if this place was "off campus housing" for college students, chances are that one of the students would fit a bed in that walk-in closet (assuming a bed would in fact fit flat in there). Most college students hate having to share a sleeping room; a separate (no matter how small and crampt) sleeping room is still highly prized. Doesn't matter if there's no window; the ability to shut the door to keep noise and light out is all that's wanted. So yes it should get an AFCI.

That would strictly be from a personal opinion not anything to do with what the NEC requires right?

They might bring a hot plate into this closet turned bedroom, does that mean we should bring two SA circuits into the close just in case?

If they are desperate they may use a cup in this room as a urinal, so now it's a bathroom?

IMO this is ridiculous, a closet is a closet, a bedroom is a bedroom. [Linked Image]

AFCI protect the closet if you want to but it is not required by the NEC. (Yet)

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#93715 06/12/05 09:51 PM
E
e57 Offline
Keyword... Yet! Wasn't there some proposal to make all residential circuits AFCI?

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#93716 06/12/05 10:26 PM
L
wa2ise
I still disagree; around here, having a closet seems to be a deciding factor in whether or nopt a room is/can be considered a bedroom.

Therefore, a closet would only be considered a bedroom if it has a closet. Very few closets have closets.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#93717 06/13/05 01:53 AM
D
"Very few closets have closets."

My house actually does, I think it was actually a small closet with a vanity. Someone then made the vanity into a closet leaving the original one. So you walk in the closet door to get into the smaller closet.

So if I was to bring it up to code, I would just be confused :P

#93718 06/13/05 04:40 PM
G
The plans should show the boundries of the bedroom "area."

I would make the closet as "not part of the bedroom area." That should make the issue clear for the AHJ.

#93719 06/13/05 08:24 PM
H
Just thought I'd jump in here with a contractor's point of view: The AHJ will not allow the closet to be counted into the required square footage requirement for the minimum habitable room size so how can it be considered part of the bedroom? They can't have it both ways! The 2000 IRC give closets a definition as "a small room or chamber used for storage". Doesn't sound like part of a bedroom to me.

Harold

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard